Landau vol.1 Mechanics: Expansion of L' and Dependence on Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of power series expansion to analyze the difference of two Lagrangian functions and its relation to Noether's theorem. The author argues that by expanding the Lagrangian as a power series of the infinitesimal velocity relative to another inertial frame, one can derive the form of the Lagrangian for a free particle and show its invariance under the full Galilei group. The conversation also mentions the use of Noether's theorem to determine the conserved quantity for boosts and the resulting constant velocity of a free particle.
zhuang382
Let ##K## and ##K'## be two inertial frame, If K is moving with infinitesimal velocity relative to ##K'## , then ##v' = v + \epsilon##.
Note that ##L(v^2) - L(v'^2)## is only a total derivative of a function of coordinate and time. (I understand this part)
Because ##L' = L(v'^2) = L(v^2 + 2v\cdot\epsilon + \epsilon^2)##, then we use power series of ##\epsilon## to expand the equation and neglect the second order term:
$$L(v'^2) = L(v^2) + 2\frac {\partial f} {\partial v^2}v\cdot\epsilon$$
Then the author argues that it is only when the second term on the right hand side is a linear function of ##\vec{v}##, it is a total derivative of time; therefore ##\frac{\partial f} {\partial v^2}## does not depend on velocity. Can someone help me on the detail of ##\epsilon## series expansion and how the conclusion drawn from this?

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 2.53.57 PM.png

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Has Landau covered Noether's theorem and, in particular, the concept of divergence invariance?

Actually, this is chapter one, so I don't know yet. I am just beginning using this book to review the content I learned last semester. I am mainly confused about the mathematical technique he uses, ( expand the Lagrangian as a power series of ##\epsilon##) when he analyze the difference of two Lagrangian functions.

zhuang382 said:
Actually, this is chapter one, so I don't know yet. I am just beginning using this book to review the content I learned last semester. I am mainly confused about the mathematical technique he uses, ( expand the Lagrangian as a power series of ##\epsilon##) when he analyze the difference of two Lagrangian functions.
That's just a Taylor series expansion to first order in ##\vec \epsilon##.

The rest of what he does needs some knowledge of Noether's theorem.

Likes zhuang382
PS Can you explain what he's actually trying to achieve with that calculation? That's the really important thing.

The ingenious feature of this book is that he starts from the fundamental content of Newtonian mechanics, i.e., invariance under the full Galilei group and derives why the laws look as they look. For a free particle you get uniquely ##L=m v^2/2##.

From tranlation invariance in space and time and rotation symmetry you get that ##L=L(\vec{v}^2)##. That's all trivial, because under this part of the group ##L## transforms as a simple scalar. For the invariance under Galilei boosts you need a non-trivial term, i.e.,
$$\tilde{L}(\tilde{v}^2)=L(\tilde{v}^2)+\mathrm{d}_t \Omega(\vec{x},t).$$
As a general analysis of Noether's theorem shows, you need it only for "infinitesimal transformations", i.e.,
$$\tilde{\vec{x}}=\vec{x}-\vec{\epsilon} t \; \Rightarrow \; \tilde{\vec{v}}=\vec{v}-\vec{\epsilon}.$$
Then you get
$$L(v^{\prime s})=\vec{\nabla}_{\epsilon} \vec{v}^{2} L'(v^2)=-2 \vec{\epsilon} t \cdot \vec{v} L'(\vec{v}^2) \stackrel{!}{=}-\mathrm{d}_t \Omega(\vec{x},t).$$
Now
$$\mathrm{d}_t \Omega (\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}_x \Omega + \partial_t \Omega.$$
Comparing the left and the right-hand side shows that
$$\vec{\nabla}_x \Omega = 2 L'(\vec{v}^2) \vec{\epsilon} t, \quad \partial_t \Omega=0.$$
Since the left-hand side doesn't depend on ##\vec{v}## and the right-hand side doesn't depend on ##\vec{x}## we must have
$$L'(\vec{v}^2)=\frac{m}{2}=\text{const}, \quad \Omega=m \vec{\epsilon} \cdot \vec{x}.$$
This implies that the Lagrangian is Galilei-boost invariant in addition to the other symmetries of Galilei-Newton spacetime if and only if ##L## is equivalent to
$$L=\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}^2=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2.$$
This implies Newton's Lex II, according to which a free particle moves with constant velocity.

Noether's theorem tells us that the generators for boosts is
$$\vec{K}=m \vec{x}-m t \vec{v}.$$
Since this is the conserved quantity indeed it follows again that ##\vec{v}=\text{const}## along the trajectory of the particle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes bhobba, zhuang382, PeroK and 1 other person

1. What is the "L' expansion" in Landau vol.1 Mechanics?

The "L' expansion" in Landau vol.1 Mechanics refers to the expansion of the Lagrangian function, L', which is used to describe the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics. It is an extension of the original Lagrangian function, L, and takes into account the dependence on velocity.

2. How does the expansion of L' affect the equations of motion?

The expansion of L' introduces additional terms in the equations of motion, which account for the dependence on velocity. These terms can provide a more accurate description of the system's behavior, especially at higher velocities.

3. What is the significance of the dependence on velocity in L'?

The dependence on velocity in L' allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's dynamics. It takes into account the effects of velocity on the system, such as inertia and friction, which are not accounted for in the original Lagrangian function, L.

4. Are there any limitations to the L' expansion in Landau vol.1 Mechanics?

While the L' expansion provides a more accurate description of the system's dynamics, it is not always necessary to include it. In some cases, the original Lagrangian function, L, may be sufficient to describe the system's behavior. Additionally, the L' expansion may become increasingly complex for systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

5. How does the L' expansion relate to other concepts in classical mechanics?

The L' expansion is closely related to other concepts in classical mechanics, such as the Hamiltonian function and the principle of least action. It is also used in the development of the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are fundamental equations in classical mechanics that describe the motion of a system based on its Lagrangian function.