1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of some integral formulas

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Hi,

The integrals in the image are well-known, but we are not allowed to use them in the test.

I have tried to prove them using changing variable t, but I didn't succeed.

Can you show me the way? YvnnR3H.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your actual work on at least one example above---whether it failed or not.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "not allowed to use them"? How would being able to prove them help you on a test?

The first and fourth can be done by considering the derivatives of arctan and arcsin. The second and third by factoring and "partial fractions".

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the first integral, try the trig substitution, ## x = a\cdot\tan(\theta)\ ##.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 14, 2015 #5
    Geez I didn't think it was necessary to use a trig substitution for any of these. In the first three you can just multiply the numerator & denominator by 1/a2 & in the last two multiply numerator & denominator by 1/a.

7. Mar 14, 2015 #6
    ok,

I succeed proving number one and four- please check if I did it correctly.
    But I still didn't understand how to prove the rest... how do I use partial fractions?
    can you show me the way on one of the other integrals? 26R3FQy.jpg tjaQ3Wg.jpg

8. Mar 15, 2015 #7
    I have tried to do that in your way in the second integral and didn't succeed.
    Can you show me your way?

9. Mar 16, 2015 #8
    Hey, I'm on my mobile right now so I can't see your proves for first and four integrals but for the second and third use simple fractions. I mean, you have the denominator

a^2 - x^2 = (a+x)(a-x)

So you can write

1/(a^2 - x^2) = 1/((a+x)(a-x)) = A/(a+x) + B/(a-x)

For some constants A, B which you should find easily then you just have a sum of two integrals which are two logarithms and using a basic property of log you will get what you are looking for. Third integral is analogous to this.

Should I said why take abs value?

10. Mar 17, 2015 #9
    Tnx, now I got it.

But I still didn't understand how to solve the last integral...

I need to use some substitution t?

11. Mar 17, 2015 #10
    I think in the last one you need to use the substitution x = a⋅sec θ then dx = a⋅secθ⋅tanθ dθ etc

12. Mar 17, 2015 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That works for the " - " sign. Alternatively, you can use x = a ⋅ cosh(u) .

Use x = a⋅sinh(u) for the "+" sign.

Of course the results will look a bit different: cosh-1(x/a) & sinh-1(x/a) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted