Derivation of the Continuity Equation for Fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a mathematical relationship that encapsulates the principle of continuity in fluid flow. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with a focus on the density and velocity of the fluid. The conversation also touches on the concept of a fluid as a continuous medium and the use of the divergence theorem. There is an error in the dimensions of one of the equations, which is resolved later on.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Derive a mathematical relationship which encapsulates the principle of continuity in fluid flow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Imagine we have a mass of fluid ## M##, of volume ##V##, bounded by a surface ##S##. If we take a small element of this volume ##dm##, we can form two equivalent expressions, in terms of the fluid density, ##\rho##.

$$ dm = \rho(V) dV $$ (1)
Now, let the velocity of the fluid be ## \vec{v} ##, where ## v = v(x,y,z,t) ## (i.e ## v ## is a function of both position and time).

$$ dm = \rho (\vec{v} \cdot \hat{n}) \ dA = \rho (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{dS}) $$ (2)
Where ## \vec{dS} ## is the infinitesimal surface area element of ## S ## such that ## \vec{dS} = \hat{n} dA ##

So, in integral form:

$$ M = \iiint \rho(V) dV = \iint \rho (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{dS}) $$

Looking at how ## M ## change as a function of time:
$$ \frac{dM}{dt} = \iiint \frac{d \rho(V)}{dt} dV = \iint \rho(\frac{\vec{dv}}{dt} \cdot \vec{dS}) $$

But ## \vec{v} = v(x,y,z,t) ##:

$$ \implies \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = \frac{\partial \vec{v} }{\partial t} + \frac{\partial \vec{v} }{\partial x} dx ... $$
$$ \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}= \frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial t} + \vec{v} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{v}) $$

So:
$$ \frac{dM}{dt} = \iiint \frac{d \rho(V)}{dt} dV = \iint \rho \bigg(\frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial t} + \vec{v} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{v})\bigg) \cdot \vec{dS}$$

However, since the surface ## S ## and the volume ## V ## is arbitrary, it is equally valid to write:

$$ \frac{d \rho(V)}{dt} = \frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial t} + \vec{v} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{v})$$

The trouble is that this doesn't seem to be at all the form of the continuity equation I've seen on Wikipedia! I realize you can use the divergence them to express the surface integral directly in terms of the divergence, but is the result I've got here equivalent to that?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
$$
dm = \rho (\vec{v} \cdot \hat{n}) \ dA = \rho (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{dS})
$$
What is this dm ? Wasn't ##\rho## a function of position (3 arguments, and perhaps also time) ? Now ##\vec v \cdot \hat n## is a scalar. What does it represent ?

The component of the fluid velocity flowing through the small surface element ## dA ##. ## \rho ## may be a function of position and time, but why would this make the above invalid? Since we're using an infitesimal mass, ## \rho ## might (almost) as well be a constant, no? i.e. we're effectively evaluating the density at a specific point, the centre of a very small box with sides area ## dA ##, and volume ## dV##?

I see. So rho is constant, but it is a function of one component of the velocity ?
Look at your expression ance again. On the left I see something with the dimension of mass. Then in the middle it is mass/length and on the right we have mass/volume.
No can do.

You want to read up a little on how to deal with this -- it's mainly math and common sense, not complicated, but there is a lot involved.

I can't get the link to post properly (try here if it works), and else google "Anderson Governing Equations of Fluid Dynamics" for a very good expose.

Another good one is Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot: Transport phenomena (3.1 eqn of contimuity)

Ah, no that's not at all what I meant. Sorry. I must have said something confusing :P

When I first wrote the above down, I was imagining the density as just a constant. Looking back I see no problem if ## \rho = \rho(x,y,z)## since ## dm## is infinitesimal. (though $\rho$ must be independent of time). I don't think the position dependence of the density is important for the expression for ## dm##. All I mean to say with ## \vec{v} \cdot \hat{n} ## is the flow out of the surface element.

Embarassingly, as you say, I have just realized that there is an error in the dimensions.
I have:

$$ [\rho (\vec{v} \cdot \hat{n} ) dA ] = [ \frac{kg}{m^{-3}} \times \frac{m}{s^{-1}} \times m^{2} ] = [kgs^{-1}] $$

Which is clearly a fault - this is not ## dm ## but ## \frac{dm}{dt} ##

So this resolves all the following issues. The following equalities are false. The expression I have got at the bottom right is an expression for ## \frac{d^{2}m}{dt^{2}} ##

Next time I will check my dimensions! I'm sorry - I'm teaching myself this and was clearly a little muddled when I wrote the initial expression.

The books look useful though. Thank you :)

I don't think you can assume ##\rho## is constant. That way you limit your derivation to incompressible fluids only. Note that a fluid is "a substance that has no fixed shape and yields easily to external pressure; a gas or a liquid". Daily language says fluid=liquid, but in physics a fluid is a continuous medium.

And it looks awfully weird if you declare ##\rho## constant and then have ##\int\int\int {d^2\rho\over dt^2}\; dV## (or ##\int\int\int {d\rho\over dt}\; {dV\over dt}## ?) = . . .

Did you pick up the meaning of "Substantial derivative" ?

If should be:
$$\int_V{\frac{\partial ρ}{\partial t}dV}=-\int_S{(ρ\vec{v})\centerdot \vec{n}dS}$$
Now apply the divergence theorem:

Chet

What is the Continuity Equation for Fluids?

The Continuity Equation for Fluids is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the flow rate, velocity, and cross-sectional area of a fluid. It states that the mass flow rate of a fluid is constant throughout a closed system, regardless of changes in velocity or cross-sectional area.

Why is the Continuity Equation important in fluid dynamics?

The Continuity Equation is important because it helps us understand how fluids move and behave in different situations. It is used to analyze and predict the flow of fluids in pipes, channels, and other systems. It also provides a basis for other important equations in fluid dynamics, such as Bernoulli's equation.

How is the Continuity Equation derived?

The Continuity Equation is derived from the principle of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. By applying this principle to a closed system of fluid, we can equate the mass flow rate at one point to the mass flow rate at another point, resulting in the continuity equation.

What are the assumptions made when deriving the Continuity Equation?

The derivation of the Continuity Equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant. It also assumes that the flow is steady, meaning the velocity and cross-sectional area do not change with time. Additionally, the equation assumes that the flow is one-dimensional, meaning it occurs in a single direction.

How is the Continuity Equation applied in real-world situations?

The Continuity Equation has many real-world applications, such as in the design of pipes and channels for fluid transport. It is also used in weather forecasting and aerodynamics to model the flow of air and other fluids. Additionally, the equation is used in medical fields to understand blood flow in the human body and in environmental studies to analyze the flow of water in rivers and streams.