1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the equation in doube slits

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Hi, can someone provide me with a simple derivation of the formula: x=λD/a[/B]
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry - you have to do a bit more than that.
    Start with explaining what the terms in the equation mean and draw a diagram for yourself - this will help you understand.
    When you have tried to find an answer we can help!
  4. Aug 22, 2007 #3
    oh boy! well... x=slit inteference, λ=wavelength of electromagnetic wave, D= distance between slit and board and a=difference in length of the 2 slits. I dun really know how to draw a diagram online so i will try my best to explain what im doing.

I would find through pythogaras theorem the difference in the distance to the exact same spot in the board from both slits and through an approaximation in binomial theorem, i arrived at (a^2+2ab)/D where b is the perpendicular distance from the horizontal of the slit to the point of inteference point of concern.

After which, calling the above difference in distance Y, i used a proportionality method which equated λ/Y=x/a.

but sadly i did not get the answer, it is quite vexing any help?
  5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 22, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?