Derivative and integral of a power series proof (not getting a step)

In summary, the proof states that if (2) converges absolutely, then since |c_{k}x^{k}| = |x||c_{k}x^{k-1}| \leq |kc_{k}x^{k-1}| the comparison test implies the same for (1). However, just for k that are large enough, it doesn't hold for any k. Therefore, the series doesn't converge.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Basically, there's no problem statement per se, I'm just trying to understand the proof that the following sequences have the same radius of convergence:

[tex](1) \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} c_{k}x^{k}[/tex]
[tex](2) \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} kc_{k}x^{k-1}[/tex]
[tex](3) \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} c_{k}\frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The proof begins by saying that if (2) converges absolutely, then since [tex]|c_{k}x^{k}| = |x||c_{k}x^{k-1}| \leq |kc_{k}x^{k-1}|[/tex] the comparison test implies the same for (1).

I don't get the inequality part. I mean, since k is a natural number, hence part of an unbounded set, this must be true for all k greater than some k0, but am I missing something that would render this true for all k? I mean, as the proof is stated, nothing suggests that it's supposed to be interpreted as I interpreted it, but if it holds true for all k, then I don't see how this is so.

Any help with understanding this would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're exactly right.
It won't hold for any k, but just for k that are large enough.

However, that is sufficient to determine whether the series converges or not.

This should be mentioned in the proof, so if it's not, that means that they've been sloppy. :wink:

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
You're exactly right.
It won't hold for any k, but just for k that are large enough.
Thanks, great to know I was on the right track.
I like Serena said:
However, that is sufficient to determine whether the series converges or not.
Yeah, I know, that's why I first just wanted to let it slide and move on, but after a while decided to check with the PF community anyway, just to see I'm not missing something :smile:
I like Serena said:
This should be mentioned in the proof, so if it's not, that means that they've been sloppy. :wink:
Usually the professor that made these lecture notes would mention something like that, which is what made it all the more puzzling when in this case he didn't. So my first thought was that I'm just not seeing where the step stems from.

I sometimes feel silly making these threads for such small things, but I'm just doing some Maths on my own during summer, and I hate it when I don't get all the steps in a proof or something. I feel I can't just move on, and there's also no one else I could really ask at this time.

Glad to have been of help! :smile:

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form f(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ..., where an represents the coefficients and x is the variable. It is a mathematical expression that can be used to approximate functions.

2. What is the derivative of a power series?

The derivative of a power series is found by differentiating each term in the series. This means that the coefficients are multiplied by the corresponding power of x, and the powers of x are decreased by 1. For example, if the original power series is f(x) = 3 + 4x + 2x2 + x3, the derivative would be f'(x) = 4 + 4x + 6x2.

3. How do you prove the derivative of a power series?

To prove the derivative of a power series, you can use the fact that the derivative of a power function is given by f'(x) = naxn-1, where a is any constant and n is the power of x. By applying this rule to each term in the power series and simplifying, you can show that the derivative of the power series is equivalent to a new power series with the coefficients multiplied by the corresponding power of x and the powers of x decreased by 1.

4. What is the integral of a power series?

The integral of a power series is found by integrating each term in the series. This means that the coefficients are divided by the corresponding power of x, and the powers of x are increased by 1. For example, if the original power series is f(x) = 3 + 4x + 2x2 + x3, the integral would be F(x) = 3x + 2x2 + x3 + (1/4)x4.

5. How do you prove the integral of a power series?

To prove the integral of a power series, you can use the fact that the integral of a power function is given by F(x) = axn+1 / (n+1), where a is any constant and n is the power of x. By applying this rule to each term in the power series and simplifying, you can show that the integral of the power series is equivalent to a new power series with the coefficients divided by the corresponding power of x and the powers of x increased by 1.