Does f'(0) exist? Does f'(x) exist for values of x other than 0?

• Thread starter jimmyly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, we are discussing the function f(x) = |x| + x and whether or not its derivative exists at x = 0. After attempting to take the derivative using different methods, it is concluded that f'(0) does not exist due to the sharp point of the "V" in the graph of the function. Therefore, the left and right derivatives do not equal and the function does not have a derivative at x = 0.
jimmyly

Homework Statement

f(x) = |x| + x
This is from lang's a first course in calculus page 54 # 13

Homework Equations

lim (f(x+h) - f(x))/h
h->0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly
at first I took the derivative of f(x) = |x| + x

f(x) = |x| + x = √x^2 + x
from there

f'= lim h -> 0 (√(x+h)^2 + (x+h) - (√x^2 + x))/h
= x + h +x + h - x - x / h
= 2h/h
=2

I assumed this meant that f' = 2 but this doesn't make sense because there is no slope at x = 0

so I decided to take the right and left derivatives

right:
for x > 0, h>0
|x| = x
f'= (|x+h| + (x + h) - (|x| + x))/h = ((x+h) + (x + h) - ( x + x )) / h = 2

left:
for x < 0 , h < 0
|x| = -x

f' = (-(x+h) + (x + h) - (-x +x ))/h = -1

so my conclusion is that there is no derivative at x = 0 because the left and right derivatives do not equal.

I am not very confident in what I did here. If someone can help me understand it better I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
|x| does not have a derivative at zero due to the sharp point of the "V".

UltrafastPED said:
|x| does not have a derivative at zero due to the sharp point of the "V".

So how do I show that mathematically?
I understand that geometrically, but when I do problems like these I have a tough time doing it

also when I graph it out it only shows the right side / instead of V
I don't understand how I got the left derivative as -1 when there's nothing on the left

jimmyly said:

Homework Statement

f(x) - |x| + x
Typo - should be f(x) = |x| + x.
jimmyly said:
This is from lang's a first course in calculus page 54 # 13

Homework Equations

lim f(x+h) - f(x)/h
h->0
You need more parentheses, as in (f(x + h) - f(x))/h
jimmyly said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly
at first I took the derivative of f(x) = |x| + x

f(x) = |x| + x = √x^2 + x
from there

f'= lim h -> 0 √(x+h)^2 + (x+h) - (√x^2 + x)/h
= x + h +x + h - x - x / h
= 2h/h
=2
√(x + h)2 ≠ x + h. Think about the case when x + h < 0.
jimmyly said:
I assumed this meant that f' = 2 but this doesn't make sense because there is no slope at x = 0

so I decided to take the right and left derivatives

right:
for x > 0, h>0
|x| = x
f'= |x+h| + (x + h) - (|x| + x)/h = (x+h) + (x + h) - ( x + x ) / h = 2

left:
for x < 0 , h < 0
|x| = -x

f' = -(x+h) + (x + h) - (-x +x )/h = -1

so my conclusion is that there is no derivative at x = 0 because the left and right derivatives do not equal.
Your conclusion is correct, but there's an error in your work. If you sketch a graph of y = |x| + x for x < 0, it should be clear that the slope is 0, not -1
jimmyly said:
I am not very confident in what I did here. If someone can help me understand it better I would really appreciate it!

shouldn't f'(0) = 0 or undefined or dne since there is no derivative at 0?

jimmyly said:
shouldn't f'(0) = 0 or undefined or dne since there is no derivative at 0?
Since the derivative doesn't exist for x = 0, the f' is not defined at 0.

For x > 0 |x| = x; so the slope for x>0 is 1.
For x < 0 |x| = -x; and the slope for x<0 is -1.

These are constants, so the limit from the left (x<0) at x=0 is -1. From the right (x>0) it is +1.
So the left and right derivatives are not the same ... this is due to the kink at x=0.So for the expression g(x) = -|x| + x you get g(x) = 0 for x>= 0, and g(x) = 2x for x < 0;
so now the slope is +2 for x<0, but it is 0 for x>0.

UltrafastPED said:
For x > 0 |x| = x; so the slope for x>0 is 1.
For x < 0 |x| = -x; and the slope for x<0 is -1.

These are constants, so the limit from the left (x<0) at x=0 is -1. From the right (x>0) it is +1.
So the left and right derivatives are not the same ... this is due to the kink at x=0.

So for the expression g(x) = -|x| + x you get g(x) = 0 for x>= 0, and g(x) = 2x for x < 0;
so now the slope is +2 for x<0, but it is 0 for x>0.
The OP went back and fixed his first post. It should have been f(x) = |x| + x.

For x > 0, f'(x) = 2; for x < 0, f'(x) = 0.

Thanks for the replies! I fixed up the errors in my thread and added parentheses.

so I re-did the left for x<0
I got
f' = (-(x+h) + (x+h) - (-x+x))/h = (-x - h + x + h + x - x)/h = 2x/h but taking the limit as h->0 it is undefined

is it an algebraic error I am making?

Mark44 said:
The OP went back and fixed his first post. It should have been f(x) = |x| + x.

For x > 0, f'(x) = 2; for x < 0, f'(x) = 0.

Yeah sorry for the confusion

jimmyly said:
Thanks for the replies! I fixed up the errors in my thread and added parentheses.

I got
f' = (-(x+h) + (x+h) - (-x+x))/h = (-x - h + x + h + x - x)/h = 2x/h but taking the limit as h->0 it is undefined
The numerator isn't 2x. Check your algebra.
jimmyly said:
Yes

jimmyly said:

I got

sorry

f' = (-(x+h) + (x+h) - (-x+x))/h = (-x - h + x + h + x - x)/h = 0/h not 2x/h

Right. And in the limit, even though h → 0-, for each value of h that isn't zero, the quotient is zero, hence the limit is zero as well.

So as you found, if x > 0, f'(x) = 2, and if x < 0, f'(x) = 0. At x = 0, f' doesn't exist.

I completely understand now! thank you so much for your help and clarity, I appreciate it!

jimmyly said:
So how do I show that mathematically?
I understand that geometrically, but when I do problems like these I have a tough time doing it

You have already done it: you showed that the left- and right-derivatives are unequal, so there cannot be a limit of [f(h) - f(0)]/h as h → 0.

Note that h → 0 means that h is allowed to have either sign, as long as its magnitude goes to 0. If we want to specify a direction of approach to 0 we must write either h → 0+ or h → 0-.

1. What is the significance of the derivative at 0?

The derivative at 0, also known as the derivative at a point, is used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It helps to determine the slope of a tangent line at that point and can be used to find maximum or minimum values of a function.

2. How is the derivative at 0 calculated?

The derivative at 0 is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0. This can also be written as f'(0) = lim (Δx → 0) (f(x+Δx) - f(x)) / Δx.

3. Can the derivative at 0 be negative?

Yes, the derivative at 0 can be negative if the function is decreasing at that point. This means that the slope of the tangent line is negative, indicating a decrease in the rate of change.

4. What is the relationship between the derivative at 0 and the original function?

The derivative at 0 is a function that represents the slope of the tangent line at that point, and it is related to the original function through the derivative rules. For example, the derivative at 0 of a constant function is 0, while the derivative at 0 of a quadratic function is a linear function.

5. How is the derivative at 0 used in real-world applications?

The derivative at 0 is used in various real-world applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function, calculating velocity and acceleration, and determining the marginal cost or revenue in economics. It is also used in optimization problems to find the best possible solution for a given situation.