Derivative of a partial derivative

In summary, to find the partial derivative of U with respect to x, we can write it as U subscript x. But to find the derivative of Ux with respect to x, we must think of x and y as functions of a parameter, t, and use the chain rule. This results in the answer Uxx + Uyx(dy/dx), where Ux is the partial derivative of U with respect to x and Uyx is the partial derivative of U with respect to y with x treated as a constant.
Chicago_Boy1
Hello,

So I have the function U(x,y). I have to find a partial derivative of U with respect to x. I understand that one can write that as U subscript x. But now I have to take d/dx of Ux, i.e. I have to take the derivative of Ux(x,y) with respect to x.

Supposedly the answer is Uxx + Uyx(dy/dx), but I don't really understand why...

Note that Ux = U subscript x
Note that Uyx = U subscript yx

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, in order to be able to talk about df/dx, we have to assume that f is a function of a single variable, x. But to talk about [itex]\partial U/\partial x[/itex] we must have U a function of two variable, x, and, say, y.

To be able to put them together, we must be thinking of y itself as a function of x.

Perhaps it would make more sense to separate the two uses of "x". Think of U as a function of x and y, and then think of x and y as functions of a parameter, t.

If f is any differentiable function of x and y and x and y themselves are differentiable functions of t, by the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{df}{dt}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}= f_x\frac{dx}{dt}+ f_y\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex].

But here x= t so that dx/dt= 1 and dy/dt= dx/dt:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}= f_x+ f_y\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Replace f by [itex]U_x[/itex] and you have your result.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial"), and is often used in multivariable calculus and physics.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative differs from a regular derivative in that it only considers the change in one variable while holding all other variables constant. In a regular derivative, all variables are allowed to change simultaneously.

3. Why is it important to find the derivative of a partial derivative?

Finding the derivative of a partial derivative allows us to understand the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. This is particularly useful in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering, where multiple variables are involved in a system.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in economics to calculate marginal cost and marginal revenue, in physics to calculate acceleration and velocity, and in engineering to optimize designs and analyze systems with multiple variables. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to optimize models and algorithms.