Derivative of a potential function that depends on several position vectors

In summary: Let me write it out for you:The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure how to apply the chain rule when the function depends on vectors. I guess is something like this:\frac{\partial V}{\partial q_j}=\sum_i \frac{\partial V}{\partial \vec{r_i}} \frac{\partial \vec{r_i}}{\partial q_j}However, the partial derivative of a scalar function with respect to a vector is something I'm not used to. Thanks in advanceYou don't take the partial derivatives with respect to a vector, you do it with respect to the the vector's components (because they are all independent
andresordonez
SOLVED

Homework Statement

Show that:
[tex]
\sum_i \vec{\nabla_i}V \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r_i}}{\partial q_j} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_j}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]V=V(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2},\vec{r_3},...\vec{r_N},t)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r_i}=\vec{r_i}(q_1,q_2,q_3,...,q_n); i=1,2,3,...,N; n<N[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply the chain rule when the function depends on vectors. I guess is something like this:
[tex]
\frac{\partial V}{\partial q_j}=\sum_i \frac{\partial V}{\partial \vec{r_i}} \frac{\partial \vec{r_i}}{\partial q_j}
[/tex]
However, the partial derivative of a scalar function with respect to a vector is something I'm not used to. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't take the partial derivatives with respect to a vector, you do it with respect to the the vector's components (because they are all independent variables), so the result will contain terms like

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial (r_i)_k}\frac{\partial (r_i)_k}{\partial q_j}[/tex]

where [itex](r_i)_k[/itex] is component k of vector i.

By the way, I like to write the chain rule as

[tex](f\circ g)_{,i}(x)=\sum_j f_{,j}(g(x))g_{j,i}(x)[/tex]

where ",i" denotes partial differentiation with respect to the ith variable, and [itex]g_j[/itex] is the jth component of g. This is both easy to remember and easy to use.

Normally I would use Einstein's summation convention as well, and write component indices upstairs, so I'd write the chain rule as

[tex](f\circ g)_{,i}(x)=f_{,j}(g(x))g^j_{,i}(x)[/tex]

and if f is vector-valued, the same formula still holds for the components of f, so we only have to put an index on f as well.

[tex](f\circ g)^k_{,i}(x)=(f^k\circ g)_{,i}(x)=f^k_{,j}(g(x))g^j_{,i}(x)[/tex]

andresordonez said:
However, the partial derivative of a scalar function with respect to a vector is something I'm not used to.

That's because its nonsense.:wink:

Let's look at a simpler example. Let's say that [itex]V=V(\textbf{r}_1)[/itex] only and that [itex]\textbf{r}_1=\textbf{r}_1(q_1,q_2,q_3)[/itex]. You then have [itex]V=V(\textbf{r}_1)=V(\textbf{r}_1(q_1,q_,q_3))[/itex] which is the same thing as saying [itex]V=V(q_1,q_,q_3)[/itex]...what do you get when you apply the chain rule to that?

Thanks, I solved it.

1. What is a potential function?

A potential function is a mathematical function that describes the amount of potential energy associated with a particular system. In physics, potential energy is the energy stored in an object or system due to its position in a force field.

2. What is a derivative of a potential function?

The derivative of a potential function is the rate of change of the potential function with respect to a particular variable. It describes how the potential energy changes as the variable changes.

3. How does a potential function depend on several position vectors?

A potential function can depend on several position vectors if the system being described has multiple particles or objects with different positions. The potential function takes into account the interactions between these particles and their positions.

4. Why is it important to calculate the derivative of a potential function?

The derivative of a potential function is important because it allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the force acting on a particle or object in the system. This is crucial in understanding the dynamics and behavior of the system.

5. What is the relationship between the derivative of a potential function and the force acting on a particle?

The derivative of a potential function is directly related to the force acting on a particle. The force acting on a particle is equal to the negative gradient of the potential function. In other words, the force is in the direction of steepest descent of the potential function.