Proof of independence of position and velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of $$\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}$$ and the confusion around whether $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = 0$$ due to the explicit dependence of ##r_i## on ##\dot q_k##. However, it is clarified that ##r_i## is a function of the coordinates ##q_k## and not their time derivatives, therefore it cannot be written as ##\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}## and the confusion is resolved.
weezy
A particle's position is given by $$r_i=r_i(q_1,q_2,...,q_n,t)$$ So velocity: $$v_i=\frac{dr_i}{dt} = \sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}\dot q_k + \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t} $$

In my book it's given $$\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}$$ without any proof. So I tried to take derivative of ##v_i## w.r.t ##\dot q_k##. I can only arrive at the proof if $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = 0?$$ Why is that?
Is it because of explicit dependence of ##r_i##on ##\dot q_k##? Sorry if this question is too basic but I'm confused because I believe it could be written as $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ and that $$\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ is not zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
You said it yourself, ##r_i## is assumed to be a function of the coordinates ##q_k##, not of their time derivatives.

In future posts, please do not delete the homework template with its three parts.
weezy said:
A particle's position is given by $$r_i=r_i(q_1,q_2,...,q_n,t)$$ So velocity: $$v_i=\frac{dr_i}{dt} = \sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}\dot q_k + \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t} $$

In my book it's given $$\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}$$ without any proof. So I tried to take derivative of ##v_i## w.r.t ##\dot q_k##. I can only arrive at the proof if $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = 0?$$ Why is that?
Is it because of explicit dependence of ##r_i##on ##\dot q_k##? Sorry if this question is too basic but I'm confused because I believe it could be written as $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ and that $$\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ is not zero.

Orodruin said:
You said it yourself, ##r_i## is assumed to be a function of the coordinates ##q_k##, not of their time derivatives.
yes but can't that be written like ##
\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}##?
##
\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} ## is not zero that's obvious so does it imply that ##
\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}
## is zero?

Mark44 said:
In future posts, please do not delete the homework template with its three parts.
Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll be careful.

What is proof of independence of position and velocity?

Proof of independence of position and velocity is a scientific concept that states that the position and velocity of an object are independent of each other. This means that the position of an object does not affect its velocity, and vice versa.

Why is proof of independence of position and velocity important?

Proof of independence of position and velocity is important because it allows scientists to accurately describe the motion of objects. By understanding that position and velocity are independent, scientists can make more accurate predictions and calculations.

How is proof of independence of position and velocity determined?

Proof of independence of position and velocity is determined through experiments and observations. Scientists can measure the position and velocity of an object at different points in time and analyze the data to determine if there is a relationship between the two variables.

What are some real-life examples of proof of independence of position and velocity?

A classic example of proof of independence of position and velocity is a ball rolling down a hill. The position of the ball does not affect its velocity, and the velocity of the ball does not affect its position. Another example is a car driving on a straight road at a constant speed. The position of the car does not affect its velocity, and the velocity of the car does not affect its position.

How does proof of independence of position and velocity relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Proof of independence of position and velocity is closely related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the position and velocity of an object will remain independent unless an external force is applied.