1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of independence of position and velocity

1. Oct 3, 2016 #1
    A particle's position is given by $$r_i=r_i(q_1,q_2,...,q_n,t)$$ So velocity: $$v_i=\frac{dr_i}{dt} = \sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}\dot q_k + \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t} $$

In my book it's given $$\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}$$ without any proof. So I tried to take derivative of ##v_i## w.r.t ##\dot q_k##. I can only arrive at the proof if $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = 0?$$ Why is that?
    Is it because of explicit dependence of ##r_i##on ##\dot q_k##? Sorry if this question is too basic but I'm confused because I believe it could be written as $$\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ and that $$\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}$$ is not zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said it yourself, ##r_i## is assumed to be a function of the coordinates ##q_k##, not of their time derivatives.

4. Oct 3, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In future posts, please do not delete the homework template with its three parts.

5. Oct 4, 2016 #4
    yes but can't that be written like ##
    \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}.\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}##?
    ##
    \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial \dot q_k} ## is not zero that's obvious so does it imply that ##
    \frac{\partial q_k}{\partial \dot q_k}
    ## is zero?

6. Oct 4, 2016 #5
    Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll be careful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted