1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule when taking vector derivatives

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    Consider a function of several variables ##T=T(x_{1},....,x_{3N})## Let's say I have N vectors of the form ##\vec{r_{1}}=(x_1,x_{2},x_{3})## and ##x_j=x_j(q_1,...,q_n)##. Awkward inex usage but the point is just that the each variable is contained in exactly 1 vector.

Is it correct to in general use the chain rule in this way? :

##\frac{\partial T}{\partial q_j} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^N \frac{\partial T}{\partial \vec{r_k}}.\frac{\partial \vec{r_k}}{\partial q_j}##

Where the notation ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial \vec{r_k}}## is just ##(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x_k},...., \frac{\partial T}{\partial x_{k+2}})##

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's something wrong with your Latex, please edit your post to fix it.

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    Done

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The way you've written this, I'd infer that the x's are all independent variables, so it makes no sense to differentiate one wrt another.

6. Feb 19, 2015 #5
    Yeah totally right. I've edited it, correctly this time I hope.

7. Feb 19, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean that you have ##\vec{r}_1 = (x_1,x_2,x_3)##, ##\vec{r}_2 = (x_4, x_5, x_6)##, etc? Using the notation ##\xi_i(q_1,q_2, \ldots, q_n)## instead of ##x_i(q_1, q_2, \ldots, q_n)## (just so as to keep straight the distinction between the variable ##x_i## and the function ##\xi_i## that delivers you the value of ##x_i##), it seems you are asking for the derivative of
    [tex] T = {\cal T}(\xi_1(q_1, q_2, \ldots, q_n), \xi_2(q_1, q_2, \ldots, q_n) , \dots, \xi_{3N}(q_1, q_2, \ldots, q_n)), [/tex]
    again being careful to distinguish between the variable ##T## and the function that delivers you ##T## (which I call ##{\cal T}##).

8. Feb 19, 2015 #7
    Yeah. Maybe I should have included the physics context since this is a physics forum. Would have messed up less and wasted less of people's time by converting it into math format wrongly.

Basically T is supposed to be a kinetic energy function of a scleronomic system of particles. Where q's represent generalized coordinates and the r-vectors represent the positions of the particles in a carthesian frame.

I was wondering how to formulate the chain rule this way when taking the partial derivative of T wrt. of one of the generalized coordinates. In case you are not familiar with Lagrangian mechanics just nevermind what I said and yes you seem to have stated my problem very well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted