Derivative of cos\frac{1}{x}: Is it 0 or Infinity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
ultima9999
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
What is the derivative of [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?

Also, would [tex]cos\frac{1}{x}[/tex] equal 0 or infinity?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ultima9999 said:
What is the derivative of [tex]\textrm(cos)\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?
Please post your attempt(s) in finding it.

Also, would [tex]\textrm(cos)\frac{1}{x} = 0 \textrm(or) \infty[/tex]?
The cosine function can have values only within the interval [-1,1], and has the value 0 for certain values of x. (an example in this case: [tex]x = \frac{2}{\pi}[/tex])
 
I attempted to use the chain rule and I got [tex]-\frac{sin}{x^2}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex]

I'm trying to solve a limit where [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex].

So I'm using Indeterminate forms and L'Hopital's rule to try and solve it.
 
Last edited:
my mistake it should be:
(1/x^2)sin(1/x)

edit:
about the limit, i don't think it exists, cause as i said it's cos y wher y approaches infinity, which is not defined.
 
Last edited:
ultima9999 said:
I attempted to use the chain rule and I got [tex]-\frac{sin}{x^2}\right(\frac{1}{x}\left)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}sin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex] is correct. The two minus's cancel.

I'm trying to solve a limit where [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^5cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right][/tex].

So I'm using Indeterminate forms and L'Hopital's rule to try and solve it.
EDIT: Stupid me...getting this Latex all messed up! Sorry. Rewrite that as
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left[3x^4\frac{cos\left{(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right}{\frac{1}{x}}][/tex]
 
Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the first part.

So [tex]\frac{1}{x}, x = 0[/tex], would be infinity and so, [tex]sin(\infty)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\infty)[/tex] would be indeterminate?
 
ultima9999 said:
Alright, thanks for the first part.

So [tex]\frac{1}{x}, x = 0[/tex], would be infinity and so, [tex]sin(\infty)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\infty)[/tex] would be indeterminate?
I'm really sorry. As I said I'm getting both the logic and the LATEX wrong.:redface: I'll let someone better tackle this while I go hide my face from the public.
 
loop quantum gravity said:
my mistake it should be:
(1/x^2)sin(1/x)

edit:
about the limit, i don't think it exists, cause as i said it's cos y wher y approaches infinity, which is not defined.
Err, sorry to interrupt you guys, but why can't it (i.e the limit) exist? :confused:
 
I'm back to embarrass myself, again. The limit exists and, if I'm correct, it is zero.