Derivative of s with respect to t when y is constant

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter karush
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,240
Reaction score
5
Let $x$ and $y$ be differentiable functions of $t$, and let
$$s=\sqrt{6x^2+2 y^2 }$$ be a function of $x$ and $y$.
A. How is ds/dt related to dx/dt if y is constant?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would you get if you apply the chain rule to find $$\d{s}{t}$$?
 
$$\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{-6x\d{x}{t}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{6x^2 +2 y^2 }}$$

I got ? on this
 
karush said:
$$\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{-6x\d{x}{t}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{6x^2 +2 y^2 }}$$

I got ? on this

Where did the negative sign in front of the 6 come from?

If $y$ is a constant, then what is $$\d{y}{t}$$? What is the denominator equal to?
 
A constant would go to zero

$\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{6x\d{x}{t}+(0)}{\sqrt{6x^2 +2 y^2 }}$
 
Last edited:
Yes, we would have $$\d{y}{t}=0$$...how about that denominator? Can you replace it with something simpler?
 
karush said:
Does the $2y^2 = 0\ \ $ ?

No, but since it is being multiplied by $$\d{y}{t}=0$$, the entire term does vanish.
 
karush said:
How does that happen?

I'm sorry, I meant the term:

$$2y\d{y}{t}$$

in the numerator vanishes to zero. The denominator of your result can be simplified in another way, if you look at the problem statement, before you did any differentiating.