Derivative of (tanh^-1(sinh(2x)))

• Thread starter uzman1243
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: The derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) is (1/(1-(sinh(2x))^2)) * 2cosh(2x). In summary, the derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) is (1/(1-(sinh(2x))^2)) * 2cosh(2x).
uzman1243

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use the chain rule here but I can't even get the first step. Can you guide me?

Physics news on Phys.org
uzman1243 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use the chain rule here but I can't even get the first step. Can you guide me?

tanh^(-1)(x) is also call arctanh(x). What's the derivative of that? If you don't know you could try and look it up.

Dick said:
tanh^(-1)(x) is also call arctanh(x). What's the derivative of that? If you don't know you could try and look it up.

Yes I am aware of that. The derivative is:
1/(1-x^2)

But how do I use the chain rule here?

uzman1243 said:
Yes I am aware of that. The derivative is:
1/(1-x^2)

But how do I use the chain rule here?

The chain rule says the derivative of (f(g(x)))'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). f is arctanh and g(x) is cosh(2x). So?

Another way to do this is to change [itex]y= tanh^{-1}(sinh(2x)[/itex] to [itex]tanh(y)= sinh(2x)[/itex].

Differentiate both sides with respect to x (so the left side will be the derivative of tanh(y) with respect to y times dy/dx) and then solve for dy/dx.

Dick said:
The chain rule says the derivative of (f(g(x)))'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). f is arctanh and g(x) is cosh(2x). So?

it would be:

(1/(1-x^2)) * sinh2x * 2cosh2x

Is that correct? I checked wolfram for the derivative and i got:
-4cosh(2x) / cosh(4x)-3

Im not sure how I could get my solution in that format?

Thank you so much for helping me out

Last edited:
uzman1243 said:
it would be:

(1/(1-x^2)) * sinh2x * 2cosh2x

Is that correct? I checked wolfram for the derivative and i got:
-4cosh(2x) / cosh(4x)-3

Im not sure how I could get my solution in that format?

Thank you so much for helping me out

If f is arctanh and g(x) is cosh(2x). Then just as f'(x)=1/(1-x^2), f'(g(x)) should be 1/(1-g(x)^2). NOT 1/(1-x^2). Don't worry too much about comparing with Wolfram. There are many different looking ways to write the same answer.

Dick said:
If f is arctanh and g(x) is cosh(2x). Then just as f'(x)=1/(1-x^2), f'(g(x)) should be 1/(1-g(x)^2). NOT 1/(1-x^2). Don't worry too much about comparing with Wolfram. There are many different looking ways to write the same answer.

so is this correct:
Derivative of (tanh^-1(sinh(2x))) is

(1/1-(2sinh(2x)^2) * 2cosh(2x) ?

uzman1243 said:
so is this correct:
Derivative of (tanh^-1(sinh(2x))) is

(1/1-(2sinh(2x)^2) * 2cosh(2x) ?

Ok, so the right hand factor should be g'(x)=(sinh(2x))'=2cosh(2x). That looks right. The rest should be f'(g(x))=arctanh'(g(x))=1/(1-g(x)^2)). That doesn't look right. What's wrong with it?

Dick said:
Ok, so the right hand factor should be g'(x)=(sinh(2x))'=2cosh(2x). That looks right. The rest should be f'(g(x))=arctanh'(g(x))=1/(1-g(x)^2)). That doesn't look right. What's wrong with it?
oh a careless mistake.
is it:
(1/1-(sinh(2x)^2) * 2cosh(2x) ?

uzman1243 said:
oh a careless mistake.
is it:
(1/1-(sinh(2x)^2) * 2cosh(2x) ?

Yes, it is. You should balance your parentheses more carefully, but I know what you mean.

1. What is the derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x))?

The derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) is 2sech^2(2x). This can be found by using the chain rule and the derivative of tanh^-1(x) = 1/(1-x^2).

2. What is the domain of tanh^-1(sinh(2x))?

The domain of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) is all real numbers. This is because both tanh^-1(x) and sinh(2x) have a domain of all real numbers.

3. How do you find the critical points of tanh^-1(sinh(2x))?

To find the critical points of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)), you can set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the x-values of the critical points.

4. Is tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) an even or odd function?

tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) is an odd function. This is because both tanh^-1(x) and sinh(2x) are odd functions, and the composition of two odd functions is also an odd function.

5. What is the limit of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of tanh^-1(sinh(2x)) as x approaches infinity is 1. This can be found by using the limit definition of tanh^-1(x) and the limit of sinh(2x) as x approaches infinity, which is also 1.