1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of a hyperbolic function

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$\int \tanh=?$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$\cosh^2-\sinh^2=1$$
    $$(\tanh)'={\rm sech}^2=\frac{1}{\cosh^2},~~(\coth)'=-{\rm csch}^2=-\frac{1}{\sinh^2}$$
    $$({\rm sech})'=\left( \frac{1}{\cosh} \right)'=-{\rm sech}\cdot\tanh=-\frac{\sinh}{{\rm cosh}^2}$$
    $$({\rm csch})'=\left( \frac{1}{\sinh}\right)'=-{\rm csch}\cdot\coth=-\frac{\rm cosh}{\sinh^2}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$\int \tanh=\int \frac{\sinh}{\sqrt{1+\sinh^2}}$$
    That's as far as i can go

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, you can start with the definition ##\tanh(x)=\frac{\sinh{x}}{\cosh{x}}=\frac{e^{x}-e^{-x}}{e^{x}+e^{-x}}## , if you split the fraction you have two integral simpler ...

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: perhaps you went too far!

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Analogously to cos and sin but even simpler, cosh and sinh are each other's derivatives. :oldwink:

6. Oct 24, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another hint: Do you know how to integrate$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx\text{ ?}$$Same idea works.
    [Edit:]epenguin must type faster than me.

7. Oct 24, 2016 #6
    No, i don't know to integrate that either, i am ashamed to say. if it were to derive ##\frac{\sinh}{\cosh}## then yes. maybe you mean:
    $$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx=\int\frac{e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}-\int\frac{e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}$$
    But i don't know that. i don't want to use integral tables.

8. Oct 25, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about, in general? ##\int \frac{f'}{f}##

9. Oct 25, 2016 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I certainly didn't mean that. Sines and cosines can't be expressed as real exponentials. Try the "obvious" u-substitution.

10. Oct 26, 2016 #9

Ssnow

Gold Member

@Karol remember that ##sin{x}## and ##cos{x}## cannot be wrote in terms of real exponential function ##e^{x}##, only ##\sinh{x}## and ##cosh{x}## ... in any way the two integrals you wrote with ##e^{x}## and ##e^{-x}## are correct for the ##\tanh{x}## and performing a strategic substitution you can solve the problem ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted