Integral of a hyperbolic function

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date

Homework Statement

$$\int \tanh=?$$

Homework Equations

$$\cosh^2-\sinh^2=1$$
$$(\tanh)'={\rm sech}^2=\frac{1}{\cosh^2},~~(\coth)'=-{\rm csch}^2=-\frac{1}{\sinh^2}$$
$$({\rm sech})'=\left( \frac{1}{\cosh} \right)'=-{\rm sech}\cdot\tanh=-\frac{\sinh}{{\rm cosh}^2}$$
$$({\rm csch})'=\left( \frac{1}{\sinh}\right)'=-{\rm csch}\cdot\coth=-\frac{\rm cosh}{\sinh^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int \tanh=\int \frac{\sinh}{\sqrt{1+\sinh^2}}$$
That's as far as i can go

Answers and Replies

Ssnow
Gold Member
Hi, you can start with the definition ##\tanh(x)=\frac{\sinh{x}}{\cosh{x}}=\frac{e^{x}-e^{-x}}{e^{x}+e^{-x}}## , if you split the fraction you have two integral simpler ...

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int \tanh=\int \frac{\sinh}{\sqrt{1+\sinh^2}}$$
That's as far as i can go

Hint: perhaps you went too far!

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Analogously to cos and sin but even simpler, cosh and sinh are each other's derivatives. :oldwink:

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Another hint: Do you know how to integrate$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx\text{ ?}$$Same idea works.
[Edit:]epenguin must type faster than me.

Do you know how to integrate$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx\text{ ?}$$Same idea works.
No, i don't know to integrate that either, i am ashamed to say. if it were to derive ##\frac{\sinh}{\cosh}## then yes. maybe you mean:
$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx=\int\frac{e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}-\int\frac{e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}$$
But i don't know that. i don't want to use integral tables.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
No, i don't know to integrate that either, i am ashamed to say. if it were to derive ##\frac{\sinh}{\cosh}## then yes. maybe you mean:
$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx=\int\frac{e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}-\int\frac{e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}$$
But i don't know that. i don't want to use integral tables.

What about, in general? ##\int \frac{f'}{f}##

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No, I certainly didn't mean that. Sines and cosines can't be expressed as real exponentials. Try the "obvious" u-substitution.

Ssnow
Gold Member
@Karol remember that ##sin{x}## and ##cos{x}## cannot be wrote in terms of real exponential function ##e^{x}##, only ##\sinh{x}## and ##cosh{x}## ... in any way the two integrals you wrote with ##e^{x}## and ##e^{-x}## are correct for the ##\tanh{x}## and performing a strategic substitution you can solve the problem ...