Derivative of y = (1/x) + sqrt(cos x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michele Nunes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Michele Nunes
Messages
42
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Evaluate the derivative of the function y = (1/x) + sqrt(cos x) at the given point, (pi/2, 2/pi)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I used power rule on (1/x) and chain rule on sqrt(cos x) but when I was simplifying, there is a sqrt(cos x) in one of the denominators, which then becomes undefined when I plug in pi/2, so I'm confused what I did wrong, I'm pretty sure I used the correct rules and I'm pretty sure I simplified correctly, so why is it coming out undefined
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the domain of the derivative you calculated.
 
Lord Anoobis said:
Take a look at the domain of the derivative you calculated.
What's more, Michelle, take a look at the domain of ##y = \frac 1 x + \sqrt{\cos x}##. Consider the fact that there are intervals where cos(x) is negative, so its square root isn't real on those intervals.