1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative using the definition

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the definition of the derivative to show f is differentiable at x = 2.

f(x) = 1 + cos(pix/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I started getting the solution but got stuck at one part.

f`(x) = lim h->0 | [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / (h)

= lim h->0 | [f(2+h) - f(2) ] / (h)

= lim h -> 0 | [1 + cos(pi(2+h)/2) - 0 ] / (h)

= lim h -> 0 | [1 + cos(2pi+hpi)/2 ] / (h)

I know im supposed to get the h's to cancel out but im having trouble getting there

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    [tex]f(x)=1+\cos\left(\frac{\pi x}{2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}=\frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}=\frac{1+\cos\left[\frac{\pi}{2}(2+h)\right]-(1+\cos \pi)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}=\frac{1+\cos\left({\pi+\frac{\pi h}{2}}\right)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\cos{(x+y)}=\cos x\cos y-\sin x\sin y[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}=\frac{1-cos\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}{h}\cdot\frac{1+cos\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}{1+cos\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}[/tex]

*Difference of Squares

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}=\frac{\sin{\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}}{h}\cdot\frac{\sin{\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}}{1+cos\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}\cdot\frac{\frac{\pi}{2}}{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

Still typing, comp freezes! Refresh every minute if you want.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Is it, pi/2 or just pi? Reading your last 2 lines, there is a discrepancy.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Oh, I might have mislead with the argument inside cos. It's

[tex]f(x)=1+\cos\left(\frac{\pi(x)}{2}\right)[/tex]

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    So what I have so far is good?

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6
    Yeah, I see what you did. I was a little confused at first. I forgot to add the 2 under the division on my last 2 lines. Thank you for taking the time by the way.

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7
    Hey hold on, my friend needs help with graphing (she's a girl, so :p) But hmm ... basically my LaTeX image isn't showing up. What you want to do is, use a trig identity ... 1-cos^2 x = sin^2 x. Use the fact that sinx\x = 1. So your angle is pi*h/2, so what will you need to do? Think back! I think it will work, I haven't finished working the problem. Been having to type the LaTeX, lol.

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8
    Dam, this problem is just nasty.

Practicing latex here. this is after you multiply by the conjugate right?

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}= \frac{1 - cos(\frac{{\pi}h}{2})^2}{h(1+cos(\frac{{\pi}h}{2})} [/tex]

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9
    Lol, yes. Damn I can't get it to work. There is an easier way. You just gotta be neat about it yanno. If you want to make a complex fraction. Put ...

\frac{a}{b}

Then to the side

a=\frac{c}{d}
    b=\frac{e}{f}

Then just replace by copy paste :p But obviously I haven't learned my lesson ... argh. And you don't need the brackets if it's just one letter.

\frac a b works great!

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10
    I don't know if I'm on the right track with the problem b/c when I differentiate it doesn't match the definition. I will get 0 by using the definition ... hmm. But of course, we evaluated at 2!!!

12. Feb 27, 2008 #11
    WOOHOO!!! It's right, lol. Forgot we evaluated at 2 :p

I was like ... wtf I typed all that up for nothing! Damn I suck.

13. Feb 27, 2008 #12
    I believe you are supposed to get 0. Unless im not following you. I did the derivative using rules and ended up getting 0.

Doing the derivative I got [tex]-sin\frac{{\pi}x}{2} * \frac{{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

Then by plugging in 2 you would get 0 * pi/2 which is 0.

14. Feb 27, 2008 #13
    I'm done typing it up, whew! Btw, there should be a negative somewhere ... not sure where it went, since the derivative of cosx is -sinx. It would be counted wrong even though we get the right answer yanno. Just letting you know. Maybe it disappeared since we evaluated at 2 from the get go :p

15. Feb 27, 2008 #14
    Just a question, where did the pi/2 multiplication come from?

16. Feb 27, 2008 #15
    What is the limit of ... [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin{\left(\frac{\pi h}{2}\right)}}{h}[/tex] ? Definitely not 1 since it's not [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1 [/tex]

So I have to multiply both numerator and denominator by pi/2, which is implied multiplication of 1. Basically, the angle and the denominator must be the same!

17. Feb 27, 2008 #16
    I see, i see. Well, thank you for all the help, appreciated.

18. Feb 27, 2008 #17
    Anytime :) If you want help like this again, make sure to show work :-] Only reason why I tried my best since I know you tried! Have fun, Calculus gets better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?