Understanding Derivatives: Function Relationships and Graph Interpretation

In summary, the relationship between a function's rising, falling, high point or low point and its derivative is that when the function is rising, its derivative is positive, when it is falling, its derivative is negative, and at a high or low point, its derivative is equal to zero. Additionally, for three given graphs showing position, velocity, and acceleration, the position graph's slope represents velocity, the velocity graph's slope represents acceleration, and the acceleration graph's slope represents the derivative of velocity with respect to time.
kLPantera

Homework Statement

What is the relationship with a function's rising, falling, high point or low point to it's derivative?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plotted my graphs, I can see that they intersect at the high and low points. But what is the relationship

Also on another note, I was wondering if anyone could tell me. When given 3 graphs, how do you tell which one is acceleration, which is velocity, and which is position?

Much Appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
kLPantera said:

Homework Statement

What is the relationship with a function's rising, falling, high point or low point to it's derivative?
When the graph of a function f is rising, the derivative f' will be positive. When the graph of f is falling, f' < 0. At either a high point or a low point x0, f'(x) = 0.
kLPantera said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plotted my graphs, I can see that they intersect at the high and low points. But what is the relationship
What graphs are you talking about?
kLPantera said:
Also on another note, I was wondering if anyone could tell me. When given 3 graphs, how do you tell which one is acceleration, which is velocity, and which is position?
Assuming that the three graphs show the position, velocity, and acceleration of some particle, think about what I said at the beginning of my reply in relation to the position and velocity graphs.

For the acceleration graph, the acceleration is the derivative with respect to time, of the velocity. The same relationships hold as for position and velocity.

I have a graph of f and a graph of f'. That's what I meant by graphs. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Thanks though!

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line at that point.

What is the purpose of using derivatives in science?

Derivatives are used in science to help us understand and analyze the behavior of physical systems. They can help us make predictions about the future behavior of a system, and also provide insight into the underlying mechanisms and relationships between different variables.

What is a graph and how is it related to derivatives?

A graph is a visual representation of data or a mathematical function. In the context of derivatives, graphs are often used to illustrate the relationship between a function and its derivative. The derivative of a function can be represented as the slope of the tangent line on a graph.

What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order derivative?

A first-order derivative is the rate of change of a function, while a second-order derivative is the rate of change of the first-order derivative. In other words, the second-order derivative represents the rate of change of the rate of change of a function.

How are derivatives and graphs used in real-world applications?

Derivatives and graphs have a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, economics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and optimize processes.