Derivatives of arctan((x+y)/(1-xy))

  • Thread starter Thread starter newyorkcity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 12K views
newyorkcity
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find all second partial derivatives of
z=arctan((x+y)/(1-xy))

Homework Equations



d/dx of arctan(x) is 1/(1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



Not sure how to proceed... I don't want the answer, just an idea as to how to move forward.

My attempt at finding the first derivative...

z'=(1/(1+(x+y/(1-xy)) * (x(1-xy) - (x+y(-y)) / (1-xy)^2

Is this correct? If it is, I honestly don't know how to find the second derivative...

On another note, can someone tell me how I can use math notation instead of plain text, to make the equations and such easier to read? Thanks guys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take care of the parentheses. Check the derivative of the arctan function.

To make your task easier, remember the addition formula :
[tex]tan(\alpha+\beta)=\frac{tan(\alpha)+tan(\beta)}{1-tan(\alpha)tan(\beta)}[/tex]
Can you write the function z(x,y) in a simpler form?
As for Math notations, go to "advanced" and click on the 'Σ'.
ehild