1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    Follow along at http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~hz4/gr/GRlec4+5+6.pdf and go to PDF page 9 or page 44 of the "slides." I'm trying to see how to go from the first to the third line. If we write the free particle Lagrangian and use q^i-dot and q^j-dot as the velocities and metric g_ij, how is it we cancel out the factor of 1/2 when when take the q^l-dot derivative? It looks like more than just a simple change of variables from j to l. If instead we took dL/dq^j-dot I'd expect to get 0.5m x g_ij x q^i-dot . I don't think I can assume I'm only taking derivatives when i=j, so how does this work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

## \frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^l}(\frac 1 2 g_{ij} \dot{q}^i \dot{q}^j)=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\frac{\partial \dot{q}^i}{\partial \dot{q}^l} \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \frac{\partial \dot{q}^j}{\partial \dot{q}^l})]=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\delta^i_l \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \delta^j_l)] =[\frac 1 2(g_{lj} \dot{q}^j+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=[\frac 1 2(g_{il} \dot{q}^i+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=g_{il}\dot{q}^i##

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    Thank you a ton! That was clear and helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted