1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of trigonometric functions

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the constants A and B such that the function y = Asinx + Bcosx satisfies the differential equation y'' + y' - 2y = sinx

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt: y = Asin x + Bcosx

y' = Acosx - Bsinx

y'' = - Asin x - Bcosx

y'' + y' - 2y = sin x
    - Asinx - Bcosx + Acosx - Bsinx - 2Asinx + 2Bcosx = sinx
    - 3Asinx + Bcosx + Acosx - Bsinx = sinx...

I dont know if my working out is correct, but I couldnt figure out what to do from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    You're almost there.

Now factorize the sines and the cosines: (-3A-B)sinx + (-3B+A)cosx=sinx.

For this to be true we must have -3A-B=1 and -3B+A=0.

I think you'll be able to take over from here, right?

edit: Oops, thanks radou. Equations have been corrected

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  4. Apr 22, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

"+ 2Bcosx " sold be "- 2Bcosx".

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4
    Howcome you spilt the equations into 2? and why does the one equal 1 and the other equal 0? Aren't they suppose to represent the rads of the sin and cos graph?

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    You have (-3A-B)sinx + (-3B+A)cosx = 1sinx + 0cosx.

This equation has to hold for all x. So the only way this will work is if you have -3A-B = 1 and -3B+A=0.

7. Apr 23, 2010 #6
    Oh ok that sort of makes sense. What rule is this by the way? Cause I have never heard it when doing trig before

Edit: Nevermind I understand now :) Thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. Apr 23, 2010 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whenever you have two orthogonal functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex], and an equation of the form [itex]\alpha f(x)+\beta g(x)=\gamma f(x)+\delta g(x)[/itex], the only way it can be satisfied for all [itex]x[/itex] is if [itex]\alpha=\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\beta=\delta[/itex].This can be proved using the definition of orthogonality. Sin(x) and Cos(x) are orthogonal functions.

If you are unfamiliar with orthogonality of functions, you can also prove that [itex]\alpha\sin x+\beta\cos x=0[/itex] can only hold for all [itex]x[/itex] if [itex]\alpha=0[/itex] and [itex]\beta=0[/itex] by differentiating the equation, and solving the system of two equations (the original and the differentiated one), for your two unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook