General solution of second order ODE

In summary, to find the general solution for the given differential equation, one can use the characteristic equation to determine the complementary function and then use the Laplace transform or the method of undetermined coefficients to find the particular integral. The Laplace transform method may be simpler and more efficient, but both approaches will lead to the same solution.
smart_worker

Homework Statement

Find the general solution.

Homework Equations

y"+y=x2sin2x

The Attempt at a Solution

Characteristic equation would be:
m2 + 1 = 0

So,m2 = -1

Therefore, m = i or m = -i.

Complementary function would be : Asinx+Bcosx where,A and B are constants respectively.

If I write the particular integral as (Cx2+Dx+E)sin2x + (Px2+Qx+R)cos2x
Then,it would be very tedious to solve.

Is there any alternative way like writing sin2x as Imaginary part of ei2x and then solving the particular integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
smart_worker said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution.

Homework Equations

y"+y=x2sin2x

The Attempt at a Solution

Characteristic equation would be:
m2 + 1 = 0

So,m2 = -1

Therefore, m = i or m = -i.

Complementary function would be : Asinx+Bcosx where,A and B are constants respectively.

If I write the particular integral as (Cx2+Dx+E)sin2x + (Px2+Qx+R)cos2x
Then,it would be very tedious to solve.
But not that tedious. All you have to do is take the first and second derivatives, and substitute them into your DE to determine the six constants. It might be there is another way, but this is how I would do the problem.
smart_worker said:
Is there any alternative way like writing sin2x as Imaginary part of ei2x and then solving the particular integral?

Another approach is Laplace transform:

For the right-hand term,
if f(x) ↔ F(s), then
x2f(x) ↔ F''(s)
and f(x) = sin(2x) and F(s) = L{sin(2x)}.

You can incorporate the two initial conditions on y also in the usual manner if they're not identically zero.

1. What is a general solution of a second order ODE?

A general solution of a second order ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical expression that satisfies the given differential equation. It contains all possible solutions to the equation, as opposed to a particular solution which only satisfies the equation for specific initial conditions.

2. How is a general solution of a second order ODE different from a particular solution?

A particular solution of a second order ODE is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for a given set of initial conditions. It is a single solution, while a general solution contains all possible solutions that can be obtained by varying the arbitrary constants in the equation.

3. What are the methods used to find a general solution of a second order ODE?

The most common methods used to find a general solution of a second order ODE are the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. These methods involve manipulating the equation to eliminate the arbitrary constants and finding a solution in the form of a power series or exponential function.

4. Can a general solution of a second order ODE be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

In some cases, a general solution of a second order ODE can be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. However, there are many cases where the general solution cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and must be written in terms of special functions such as Bessel functions or hypergeometric functions.

5. How do initial conditions affect the general solution of a second order ODE?

The arbitrary constants in a general solution of a second order ODE are determined by the initial conditions. These conditions specify the values of the dependent variable and its derivative at a particular point, which allows us to solve for the arbitrary constants and obtain a particular solution. Therefore, the initial conditions play a crucial role in determining the specific solution to the differential equation.