Differential Equation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the particular integral for a differential equation. It is mentioned that the correct trial function to choose is one that is linearly independent of the homogeneous solutions. This can be achieved by multiplying the original guess by x or x2. The method was developed by D'alembert and is known as "reduction order".
Calu
I have a differential equation

y'' + y' -2y = 3e-2x + 5cosx

y = yc + yp

I found

yc = Ae-2x + Bex

for A, B arb. Const.

Then when selecting a trial function to find the particular integral, yp I came up with:

yp = ae-2x + bcosx + csinx

However the correct trial function to choose is:

yp = axe-2x + bcosx + csinx

Where the ae-2x has been multiplied by x. I was wondering in what instance I would have to multiply the term in the yp equation by x or x2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:
I have a differential equation

y'' + y' -2y = 3e-2x + 5cosx

y = yc + yp

I found

yc = Ae-2x + Bex

for A, B arb. Const.

Then when selecting a trial function to find the particular integral, yp I came up with:

yp = ae-2x + bcosx + csinx

However the correct trial function to choose is:

yp = axe-2x + bcosx + csinx

Where the ae-2x has been multiplied by x. I was wondering in what instance I would have to multiply the term in the yp equation by x or x2.

When you plug in your expression for ##y_p##, you know you need to get out a ##3e^{-2x}## term. But if you plug ##ae^{-2x}## into the equation, you know you will get zero because it is in ##y_c##. That's when you want to try a term ##y_p=axe^{-2x}##. There's more to that story but that's the short answer.

Likes 1 person
You want the terms in ##y_p## to be linearly independent of the terms in ##y_c##. Note that ##f(x) = 3e^{-2x} +5cos(x)##.

Your original guess for ##y_p## includes a multiple of one of your homogeneous solutions, namely the ##Ae^{-2x}## term, so it cannot be linearly independent of ##y_c##. Multiplying by ##x## is a quick shortcut to obtaining a linearly independent ##y_p## guess.

This method was developed by D'alembert, you can find out more by checking out "reduction order".

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
When you plug in your expression for ##y_p##, you know you need to get out a ##3e^{-2x}## term. But if you plug ##ae^{-2x}## into the equation, you know you will get zero because it is in ##y_c##. That's when you want to try a term ##y_p=axe^{-2x}##. There's more to that story but that's the short answer.

Zondrina said:
You want the terms in ##y_p## to be linearly independent of the terms in ##y_c##. Note that ##f(x) = 3e^{-2x} +5cos(x)##.

Your original guess for ##y_p## includes a multiple of one of your homogeneous solutions, namely the ##Ae^{-2x}## term, so it cannot be linearly independent of ##y_c##. Multiplying by ##x## is a quick shortcut to obtaining a linearly independent ##y_p## guess.

This method was developed by D'alembert, you can find out more by checking out "reduction order".

These were both great answers! Thanks a lot!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model and understand many natural phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They also provide a way to solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model systems that change over both time and space.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact, closed-form solution using mathematical techniques. Numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computers to approximate the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in economics to model stock prices and in biology to model changes in populations over time.