Derivatives. Product rule with 3 products

In summary, the conversation discusses using the product rule to find the derivative of a function with three products. The participant initially attempts to use the product rule with two products, but eventually realizes the need to use the rule with three products. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that although the equation can seem complex, it is ultimately a simple application of the product rule.
EvilBunny

Homework Statement

If f(x) = (3 x )(sin x) (cos x), find f'( x ).

A question I have is , is there anything special to do when you have 3 products instead of 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I used the product rule as if am multipling

(3xsinx) (cosx)

but that doesn't seem to get me the answer or maybe Its something about my answer because I put answers in a computer so sometimes its the notation.

here is my final answer
3sin(x)+cos(x)*3x*cos(x)-sin(x)(3x)sin(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
well for 3 products...just take take the product of 2 terms and multiply by the differential of the of the 3rd term...if you don't get it

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(UVW)=UV\frac{dW}{dx}+UW\frac{dV}{dx}+VW\frac{dU}{dx}[/tex]

K managed to get it off of that thx

although the equation above is impressive and simple. I hate to learn yet another differentiation rule. your initial approach is correct.

(3xsinx) (cosx) = [(3x sinx) (-sin x)]+ [first ' * (cosx)]

the same old (first * second ') + (first ' * second) product rule.

now take derivative of (3x * sin x) with the product rule and plug it in where first' goes.

your computer probably does a better job of simplification than u :)

Last edited:

1. What is the product rule for derivatives with 3 products?

The product rule for derivatives with 3 products states that the derivative of the product of three functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second and third functions, plus the second function times the derivative of the first and third functions, plus the third function times the derivative of the first and second functions.

2. How is the product rule with 3 products used in calculus?

The product rule with 3 products is used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is a product of three other functions. It is an important tool for finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

3. Can the product rule with 3 products be extended to more than 3 products?

Yes, the product rule with 3 products can be extended to more than 3 products. It follows the same pattern where the derivative of the product of n functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the remaining functions, plus the second function times the derivative of the remaining functions, and so on.

4. What is the purpose of using the product rule with 3 products?

The purpose of using the product rule with 3 products is to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function that is a product of three other functions. It allows us to break down a more complicated function into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Are there any exceptions to the product rule with 3 products?

Yes, there are exceptions to the product rule with 3 products. The rule does not apply if one or more of the functions is a constant or if the functions are not differentiable. In these cases, a different method must be used to find the derivative.