Derivatives& the Slope of the Graph: Inflection Point

In summary, the function f(x) = (x^2-3)/(x-2) has no inflection points as x = 2, where the concavity changes, is not in the domain of the original function. The only critical point is x = 2, which is a vertical asymptote but not a critical point on the second derivative.
MitsuShai

Homework Statement

For the function
f(x)=(x^2-3)/(x-2),
determine the locations of any points of inflection, if any

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your function is [tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) [/tex] right? Maybe if you foil it out first before you take the derivative?

Last edited:
crims0ned said:
Your function is [tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) [/tex] right? Maybe if you foil it out first before you take the derivative?

The second derivative is right though; I entered it in and it was correct.

[tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) [/tex] is a polynomial and therefore it's domain should be all real number and this should carry on to it's derivatives as well.

[tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) = x^3-2x^2-3x+6 [/tex] right? So there shouldn't be a quotient at all.

crims0ned said:
[tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) [/tex] is a polynomial and therefore it's domain should be all real number and this should carry on to it's derivatives as well.

[tex] f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2) = x^3-2x^2-3x+6 [/tex] right? So there shouldn't be a quotient at all.

oh the original function is: f(x)=(x^2-3)/(x-2)

okay, so we have [tex] f(x)=\frac{(x^2-3)}{(x-2)} and f''(x)=\frac{2(x-2)}{(x-2)^4} [/tex] Even though x=2 is a vertical asymptote it is still a critical point on the second derivative

MitsuShai said:

Homework Statement

For the function
f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2),
determine the locations of any points of inflection, if any

Homework Equations

f ''(x) = (2(x−2))/(x−2)^4

The Attempt at a Solution

ok the concavity is (2, infinity) concave up
and (-infinity, 2) concave down, I entered them in as my answer and they were right
as for the inflection point, 2 is undefined, so I assumed that the function does not have an inflection point. I typed in 0 with a slash through it/ "{}" as my answer. My professor said that represents that there is no inflection point. But I got it wrong and I don't see another inflection point on the graph...
Is there a typo in your functions? You have f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2), but from what you have for f''(x), did you mean f(x) = (x^2 - 3)/(x -2)?

Mark44 said:
Is there a typo in your functions? You have f(x)=(x^2-3)(x-2), but from what you have for f''(x), did you mean f(x) = (x^2 - 3)/(x -2)?

sorry, yes that was a typo
f(x)= (x^2−3)/(x-2)
f '(x)= [(x−3)(x−1)]/(x-2)^2
f ''(x) = (2(x−2))/(x−2)^4

the derivatives are all correct

crims0ned said:
okay, so we have [tex] f(x)=\frac{(x^2-3)}{(x-2)} and f''(x)=\frac{2(x-2)}{(x-2)^4} [/tex] Even though x=2 is a vertical asymptote it is still a critical point on the second derivative

yes it is a critical point and it's where the function shifts from negative to positive, but it is an inflection point?
It's not continuous at x=2.

You're right it shouldn't be an inflection point because the original functions tangent line doesn't at x=2, but possibly it's asking for all critical points on the second derivative? Is this some kind of online homework program?

crims0ned said:
You're right it shouldn't be an inflection point because the original functions tangent line doesn't at x=2, but possibly it's asking for all critical points on the second derivative? Is this some kind of online homework program?

yes it is. This is the exact question (copied and pasted):
determine the locations of any points of inflection, if any.. Give your answer as a list of x values, e.g., {6,7,8,9}

crims0ned said:
No, that's not true. 2(x - 2)/(x - 2)^4 is identically equal to 2/(x - 2)^3. x = 2 is not in the domain of either function, so is not a critical number for the 2nd derivative. It's true that the concavity changes on either side of x = 2 for the original function, but for x = c to be an inflection point, f has to be defined at c. IOW, I agree with you that the function has no inflection point.

Isn't the definition of a critical point a point on f(x) that occurs at x0 if and only if either f '(x0) is zero or the derivative doesn't exist at that point?

crims0ned said:
Isn't the definition of a critical point a point on f(x) that occurs at x0 if and only if either f '(x0) is zero or the derivative doesn't exist at that point?

yeah, I think 2 is a critical point because I used that to find concavity and I got the concavity questions right.

This is impossible.

crims0ned said:
For x0 in the domain of f, x0 is a critical point if either f'(x0) = 0 or f' is not defined at xp.

The trouble is that x = 2 is not in the domain of the original function, f(x) = (x2 - 3)/(x - 2), so couldn't possibly be an inflection point.

Mark44 said:
For x0 in the domain of f, x0 is a critical point if either f'(x0) = 0 or f' is not defined at xp.

The trouble is that x = 2 is not in the domain of the original function, f(x) = (x2 - 3)/(x - 2), so couldn't possibly be an inflection point.

then what else can be the inflection point?

There isn't one. The only place the concavity changes is at x = 2, but x = 2 isn't in the domain of the original function.

Mark44 said:
There isn't one. The only place the concavity changes is at x = 2, but x = 2 isn't in the domain of the original function.

I e-mailed to my professor about it and we were right, just so you know :)

Last edited:

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function at a given point. They represent the slope of a line tangent to the graph of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate derivatives?

To calculate derivatives, you use the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to take the derivative of each term in a function to find its overall derivative.

3. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a graph where the rate of change of a function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. It is where the curvature of the graph changes.

4. How do you determine the slope of a graph at an inflection point?

To determine the slope of a graph at an inflection point, you can find the second derivative of the function. The second derivative represents the rate of change of the slope, so when it equals zero, the slope is changing at the inflection point.

5. How do derivatives and inflection points relate?

Derivatives are used to find inflection points on a graph. By finding the points where the second derivative equals zero, you can determine the inflection points and the direction of the curvature of the graph at those points.