Derive an expression for the acceleration of the ramp.

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where they need to derive an expression for the acceleration of a ramp. They have drawn free body diagrams and are trying to solve for the horizontal force of the block on the ramp.
Snaek96

Homework Statement

5-p-082-alt.gif

Homework Equations

The picture is all we know about the entire system, we need to derive an expression for the acceleration of ramp M. There is no friction anywhere. The ramp is free to move on the surface beneath it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the free body diagrams as such:
M: Mg pointing straight down, N_M pointing straight up, force of m on M pointing opposite of m.
m: mg pointing straight down, N_m pointing at an angle θ and 90 degrees to the incline.
System: (M+m)g pointing straight down, N_M+m pointing straight up.

I'm not sure if that's right and if it is, I don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that, since the ramp does not fall through the floor or float up into the air, the sum of the vertical forces on it vanishes. Now let's focus on the block for a moment. Resolve the force on the block into two parts, one downslope and the other perpendicular to the ramp. One of these translates into a force on the ramp and causes the ramp to move - which one is it? See if you can draw a free body diagram for the ramp now. Can you resolve the force of the block on the ramp further in any useful way?

And one more thing: Once you have a formula for the acceleration, see if it gives the right answers for ## \theta = 0 ## and ## \theta = 90^{\circ} ##.

Last edited:
Likes Snaek96
these are my free body diagrams. is there anything I'm missing?

Attachments

• 1444535334568.jpg
    1444535334568.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 444
Looks right to me, only I would label the force of the block on the ramp a little differently, to distinguish it from the normal force on the block. For example, one could write ## \mathbf{F}_{BR} ## for the force of the Ramp on the Block, and ## \mathbf{F}_{RB} ## for that of the Block on the Ramp. Then, of course, ## \mathbf{F}_{BR} = -\mathbf{F}_{RB} ##, as your picture suggests. Now resolve ## \mathbf{F}_{RB} ## into a horizontal and vertical part. Which part are we interested in?

The x direction. I need to know which way the direction of the acceleration is for the ramp and block. I know the direction of acceleration for the ramp is to the left but I get confused when thinking about the block because depending on the frame of reference, it could be down the incline or to the bottom left.

Last edited:
Now that we have the free body diagram for the ramp, we can focus on just those forces. The force of the block on the ramp has a horizontal part and a vertical part. The vertical part plus the weight of the ramp is canceled by the normal force on the block due to the floor. Can you come up with an expression for the horizontal part in terms of the weight of the block?

What is the formula for acceleration on a ramp?

The formula for acceleration on a ramp is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the ramp.

How is the angle of the ramp related to acceleration?

The angle of the ramp directly affects the acceleration of an object moving on it. The steeper the ramp, the greater the acceleration, and the shallower the ramp, the smaller the acceleration.

What is the difference between acceleration on a ramp and on a flat surface?

On a flat surface, the acceleration is constant, while on a ramp, it changes depending on the angle of the ramp. This is because on a ramp, part of the force of gravity is acting in the direction of motion, causing the object to accelerate.

Can the acceleration on a ramp be negative?

Yes, the acceleration on a ramp can be negative if the angle of the ramp is steep enough. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the ramp's incline.

What factors can affect the acceleration on a ramp?

The acceleration on a ramp can be affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.