Forces and Inclined plane (ramp)

In summary, when the mass is on the ramp and it is released, the ramp will have an acceleration due to the normal force.
homo-sapiens

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is held in place on a ramp of mass M with a slope of angle θ, which in turn is held in place as shown in the figure below. The ramp is free to move on the surface beneath it. There is no friction anywhere. The block and the ramp are then released. Derive an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration of the ramp. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g. Assume SI units.)

Homework Equations

f=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
95e135c17f.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
since the ramp is pushing on the mass, the mass is also pushing back on the ramp with a force N (normal force). and to find the horizontal component of the normal force, I did sin0 times Force N. and force N = cos0mg. therefore i concluded the acceleration should be sin0*cos0*mg / M. But it's not correct, can someone explain this and tell me why?

The normal force will be different as the ramp is receding from the block (compared to the standard block-on-a-ramp problem).
You'll have to set up forces for both objects at the same time, and find a relation between the vertical and horizontal motion of the small block (it is not following the angle of the slope).

should I introduce kinematics equations into this problem?? or would I be able solve this problem with only Newton's three laws??

homo-sapiens said:
should I introduce kinematics equations into this problem?? or would I be able solve this problem with only Newton's three laws??
I think that this can be easily solved with Newton's three laws.Do you know the concept of pseudo force?
It will be easier to solve the problem by choosing a reference frame that is moving with the wedge.

Likes homo-sapiens
pseudo force? thanks. you will look into ot

i will look into it . sorry tablet typo

homo-sapiens said:
i will look into it . sorry tablet typo
Ok. Please reply if you need help.

ok, solved it by using pseudo force. Thank you so much for the tip. Still a bit confused on what pseudo force is but I will manage. Thank you again.

homo-sapiens said:
ok, solved it by using pseudo force. Thank you so much for the tip. Still a bit confused on what pseudo force is but I will manage. Thank you again.
You are welcome.:)

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that acts upon an object, causing it to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How do forces affect motion on an inclined plane?

Forces on an inclined plane can either help or hinder the motion of an object. The component of the force acting parallel to the plane can either increase or decrease the object's motion, while the component perpendicular to the plane can cause the object to slide down or remain at rest.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force required to move an object?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force required to move an object up or down the plane. This is because a steeper angle results in a larger component of the force acting against the direction of motion.

4. Is friction a force that acts on an inclined plane?

Yes, friction is a force that acts on an inclined plane. It acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can affect the amount of force required to move the object up or down the plane.

5. How can the force required to move an object on an inclined plane be calculated?

The force required to move an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F=mg(sinθ+μcosθ), where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the inclined plane, and μ is the coefficient of friction.