Derive Potential Energy from Newtons graviational law

In summary: From ∞ to...you mean from the center of the earth to r?From ∞ to...you mean from the center of the earth to r?That's right.
Gogsey
3. Beginning from Newton’s rule for the gravitational force = -GMm/r^2
derive an expression for the potential energy of a particle of mass m above the surface of the earth, and show that it can be written as:

U(r) = -g0 RE/r

where r is the distance from the centre of the earth, RE is the radius of the earth, and g0 is the value of the
gravitational field at the surface of the earth.

To cut to the chase I am at this point.

U(r) - U(RE) = -GMm(1/r - 1/RE) + C

and rewrote it as U(r) - U(RE) = -GMm(RE-R/REr) + C

But I can't seem to figure out how to get it in the form g0 RE/r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gogsey said:
To cut to the chase I am at this point.

U(r) - U(RE) = -GMm(1/r - 1/RE) + C
(a) You should be integrating from ∞ to r, not RE to r.
(b) Since it's a definite integral, there's no integration constant.

Once you fix these, then you can try to get the answer in terms of g0. (Start by figuring out what g0 equals!)

Ok, just need to clarify something. Why is it from infinity to r?

Also, the U(infinity) term goes to zero, since U(infinity) = -GMm/infinity as if this was the expression on its own.

Gogsey said:
Ok, just need to clarify something. Why is it from infinity to r?
By convention, the potential is taken to be zero at infinity.

Also, the U(infinity) term goes to zero
That's true.

Ok, but we care about the potential above the surface. Then if we subtract the potential energy at the surface from the potential energy at distance r from the centre of the earth, don't we get the expression I original had?

Gogsey said:
Ok, but we care about the potential above the surface. Then if we subtract the potential energy at the surface from the potential energy at distance r from the centre of the earth, don't we get the expression I original had?

You seem to be misinterpreting "potential energy of a particle of mass m above the surface of the earth" as the difference in potential energy between the point r and the surface.

I'm pretty sure that the question wants you to find the potential (at a point above the surface) relative to some reference point and then show that if the reference point is at infinity, you get the desired expression.

The part about the point you are finding the potential at being above the surface is important because the force is only GmM/r^2 above the surface.

Ah ok, I thought the reference point we were supposed to use was at the centre of the earth.

So we should have that U(r) = -GMm/r, but I'm still clueless about getting it into that expression U(r) = g0 RE/r.

Gogsey said:
Ah ok, I thought the reference point we were supposed to use was at the centre of the earth.

So we should have that U(r) = -GMm/r, but I'm still clueless about getting it into that expression U(r) = g0 RE/r.

Well, if U(r) = -GMm/r , what is U(RE)? ...what does that make g0? (Remember, g0 is by definition the value of the gravitational potential at the surface)

I thought U(RE) should be U(infinity), since were doing from infinity to r, which is zero.

Gogsey said:
I thought U(RE) should be U(infinity), since were doing from infinity to r, which is zero.

That makes no sense. U(infinity)=0 since it is the reference point. U(RE) is what you get by plugging r=RE into your equation; U(r) = -GMm/r. Certainly, you don't get U(RE)=0 right?

Lol, no I don't get that.

In an earlier post Doc Al said we integrating from infinity to r, which I understand now. So I thought that if we were going from infinity to r for the right side, we should be doing the same for the left side a get:

U(r) - U(infinity) = -GMm/r + GMm/infinity

since infinity is the reference point, and then both these terms would go to zero, and we'd be left with:

U(r) = -GMm/r

Obviously its not since your telling me its wrong. Could you explain this for me?

That's not wrong. Just be careful how you express things. When you wrote:
Gogsey said:
That sure sounds like you are saying U(RE) = U(infinity) = 0, which is not what you meant at all. :wink:

So are we going from infinity to r for the left side or from RE to r?

Gogsey said:
So are we going from infinity to r for the left side or from RE to r?
From ∞ to r.

1. What is potential energy in relation to Newton's gravitational law?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, as described by Newton's law of gravitation. It is the energy that is stored in an object when it is raised to a certain height above the ground.

2. How is potential energy derived from Newton's gravitational law?

Potential energy can be derived from Newton's law of gravitation by calculating the gravitational potential energy between two objects using the equation: PE = -G(m1m2/r), where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the potential energy derived from Newton's gravitational law?

The potential energy derived from Newton's law of gravitation is affected by the masses of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects or the closer they are to each other, the higher the potential energy will be.

4. How is potential energy related to gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass at a certain point in a gravitational field. It is directly related to potential energy, as an object's potential energy is equal to its mass multiplied by the gravitational potential.

5. What are some real-world examples of potential energy derived from Newton's gravitational law?

Some examples of potential energy derived from Newton's law of gravitation include a pendulum at its highest point, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a satellite in orbit around a planet.