Derive the equation for the shape of an orbit

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the potential energy of an object at a given position, but they are having trouble because some of the steps do not look right and they are not sure what the value for p is.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am given this equation:
upload_2016-11-12_13-37-58.png

where m and M are masses.
I have to obtain the following as a final result:
upload_2016-11-12_13-39-56.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far, I have done this (This may not be the most efficient or the easiest way, but it is how my professor wants it to be done)
upload_2016-11-12_13-41-10.png

I am stuck at what to do for the part where I wrote {steps}

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several places that don't look right.

You wrote
upload_2016-11-12_13-36-46.png
. The right-hand side looks like a constant instead of being a function of ##r##.

You wrote
upload_2016-11-12_13-38-3.png
followed by
upload_2016-11-12_13-38-40.png
. These don't agree.

In the expression
upload_2016-11-12_13-39-45.png
it is not clear if the -1 is an exponent on ##r##. Note that ##r - 1## in the denominator cannot be correct since ##r## has dimensions but 1 does not. This might be causing the problems in filling in the {steps} to get the final expression for ##r##.

You did not define what ##p## stands for. Is it just an arbitrary constant?

Last edited:
TSny said:
There are several places that don't look right.

You wrote View attachment 108813. The right-hand side looks like a constant instead of being a function of ##r##.

You wrote View attachment 108814 followed by View attachment 108815. These don't agree.

In the expression View attachment 108816 it is not clear if the -1 is an exponent on ##r##. Note that ##r - 1## in the denominator cannot be correct since ##r## has dimensions but 1 does not. This might be causing the problems in filling in the {steps} to get the final expression for ##r##.

You did not define what ##p## stands for. Is it just an arbitrary constant?
These are the exact steps that my prof wrote on the board, I have no idea, it's possible that it is all wrong. I believe that p is a constant. Usually when stuff isn't defined it's just a constant.

The right hand side of
upload_2016-11-12_15-27-40.png
doesn't look right.

To see what it should be, take the given answer
upload_2016-11-12_15-27-6.png
and solve for ##\cos(\theta - \theta_0)##.

Your notes are incorrect. You may have copied them incorrectly. You should probably consult the professor, or other students in the class to see if their notes agree with yours. If the professor really did right the equation for effective potential U (eff), (s)he is clearly wrong. U eff should be a function of r, in order to get the equation for the ellipse at the end.

You can also consult several textbooks, such as Symon, Mechanics, or Marion and Thornton, Mechanics of Particles and Systems. There are many steps that are skipped here. The actual argument runs several pages, and involves at least two changes of variable. The notes you have written are sparse. It could be your professor wants you to supply the missing steps using this outline as a guideline. I do think this would be a tough assignment.

1. What is the equation for the shape of an orbit?

The equation for the shape of an orbit is described by Kepler's laws of planetary motion, specifically the third law which states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

2. How is the shape of an orbit derived?

The shape of an orbit is derived using mathematical principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. By combining these laws, scientists can determine the shape of an orbit based on the mass and distance of the objects involved.

3. What factors affect the shape of an orbit?

The shape of an orbit is primarily affected by the mass and distance of the objects involved. Other factors such as external gravitational forces, such as those from other planets or stars, can also have an impact on the shape of an orbit.

4. Can the shape of an orbit change over time?

Yes, the shape of an orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, atmospheric drag, and tidal forces. These changes can cause the orbit to become more elliptical or circular.

5. How is the shape of an orbit related to the eccentricity of the orbit?

The eccentricity of an orbit is a measure of how elliptical or circular the orbit is. The closer the eccentricity is to 0, the more circular the orbit is, and the closer it is to 1, the more elliptical it is. Therefore, the shape of an orbit is directly related to its eccentricity.