Deriving a formula and induction

That makes a lot more sense!In summary, to derive the formula for T(n), use the given information that T(2)=1 and T(n+1)=1+2T(n). By writing out the first few terms and noticing a pattern, you can re-write the terms as 2^k - 1. This leads to the formula T(n) = 2^(n-1) - 1. This can be proven by mathematical induction, which is left to the reader to complete.
muso07

Homework Statement

We know that T(2)=1, and T(n+1)=1+2T(n), i.e. T(3)=1+2*1=3, etc.
Derive a formula for T(n) from above information. Prove the formula by mathematical induction.

Homework Equations

??
I don't think there are any apart from the stuff from above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start... Isn't T(n+1)=1+2T(n) already a formula? How am I supposed to come up with another one?

Basically, in the previous part, I showed that the sequence goes 1, 3, 7, 15, 31,.. as per the rule. (Not sure what the point of that was.) But the question says to use that to derive the formula.

I just need some help with coming up with the formula.. hopefully I can do the induction stuff by myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Muso07

I noticed you could re-write the first 2 terms as:
[tex] T(2) = 1 = 1+(1-1) = 2-1= 2^1 - 1[/tex]
[tex] T(3) = 1+2.1 = 2 + 2 - 1 = 2^2 - 1[/tex]
hope this helps

Thank you so much!

1. How do you derive a formula?

Deriving a formula involves using mathematical reasoning and logical steps to find a general expression or equation that represents a pattern or relationship between variables. This is typically done by analyzing data, making observations, and using mathematical techniques such as algebra or calculus.

2. What is induction in the context of deriving a formula?

Induction is a problem-solving technique used in mathematics to prove a statement or formula is true for all cases within a specific set. It involves starting with a base case and then using logical steps to show that the formula holds true for all subsequent cases.

3. Can a formula be derived without using induction?

Yes, there are other methods for deriving formulas such as using deductive reasoning, direct proof, or proof by contradiction. However, induction is a commonly used and effective method for finding general formulas.

4. Are there limitations to using induction for deriving formulas?

Yes, induction can only be used to prove a statement or formula is true for a specific set of cases. It cannot be used to prove a statement is true for an infinite set of cases. Additionally, it is important to ensure the base case and logical steps used in induction are valid and accurate.

5. What are some real-world applications of deriving formulas and using induction?

Deriving formulas and using induction are essential techniques in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and predict real-world phenomena, make decisions and solve problems, and develop efficient algorithms and programs.