Using a determinant to find the area of the triangle (deriving the formula)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Sunwoo Bae
Messages
60
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
Shown in the text
Relevant Equations
Det(A) = det(A^T) determinant of transpose equals determinant of the original matrix
7AD7CFA7-C0E0-47CF-9FDA-EE6343366B2C.jpeg

This is the question. The following is the solutions I found:

D91C0495-3838-4DFA-9EAE-B1A8928292BA.jpeg

I understand that the first line was derived by setting one vertex on origin and taking the transpose of the matrix. However, I cannot understand where the extra row and column came from in the second line. Can anyone explain how the formula is derived?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is due to the fact that
$$\det \begin{pmatrix}a & b & 1 \\ c & d & 0 \\ e & f & 0\end{pmatrix}= \det \begin{pmatrix} c & d \\ e & f\end{pmatrix}$$

To see this, develop the ##3\times 3##-determinant along the third column (cofactor expansion), or if you don't know about this calculate both sides and see that they are equal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sunwoo Bae