1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equation of a ramp function graph.

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hello, here is my problem.

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/827/rampfunction.png [Broken]

I'm having a little trouble coming up with the function f(t).

I have something like:

f(t) = [(A/T)*t -A] + [(A/T)*(t-2T) -2A] + A*1(t-3T)

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is still a linear equation in [itex]t[/itex], so it can't be right: the graph of any linear function is just a straight line. You will have to use a piecewise definition or perhaps a formula that incorporates unit step functions.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you studied the unit step function ##u(t)##? Expressing your function with it is the best way if you plan to transform the result. For example, if you want your function to equal g(t) on (0,a) and h(t) on (a,b) and 0 elsewhere you would write it like this:$$
    f(t) = g(t)u(t) + (h(t) - g(t))u(t-a) + u(t-b)(0-h(t))$$Notice at each term you take out the old formula and put in the new one.

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the guidance! I will try to come up with a solution now with this additional knowledge!

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5
    LCKurtz, in trying to follow your formula, I got:

f(t) = [(A/T)*t - A]*u(t) + [((A/T)*t-3A)-((A/T)*t-A)]*u(t-2T)+[(0)-((A/T)*t-3A)]*u(t-3T)

Am I on the right track here?

7. Oct 1, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook