Delta Function Graphs: Formula, Derivative, and Anti-Derivative with Examples

In summary: For t<0, $$f'(t)= \delta(t)$$For t>1, $$f'(t)= \delta (t) - e^{-t}$$Whenever we have t=0, in both cases ##f'(0)=\infty##.Yes, that looks correct.
roam

Homework Statement

For each of these sketch and provide a formula for the function (i.e. in terms of ##u(t)##, ##\delta(t)##) and its derivative and anti-derivative. Denote the ##\delta## function with a vertical arrow of length 1.

(a) ##f(t)=\frac{|t|}{t}##

(b) ##f(t)=u(t) exp(-t)##

Homework Equations

$$u'(t)=\delta(t)$$

$$\int^t_{-\infty} \delta (\tau) d \tau = u(t)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ##f(t)=\frac{|t|}{t}## in terms of the Heaviside unit step can be written as:

$$f(t)=2 u(t)-1$$

Using the property stated above the derivative becomes:

$$f'(t)=2 \delta(t)$$

But shouldn't it be zero? Because when I take the "normal" derivative of ##f(t)=\frac{|t|}{t}## it becomes 0 (derivative of -1 for t<0 an 1 for t>0).

Here is the sketch of f(t) and the two possible versions of f'(t):

sketch1.jpg

For the antiderivative, if we integrate the original function we will have ##\int f(t) dt=|x| + c##. But I am not sure how to represent it in terms of ##\delta## because we do not know the indefinite integral of u(t). :confused:

(b) So here I made a graph of this function and its derivative:

sketch2.jpg

From the graph for t<0 the derivative of zero is just 0. For t>0 derivative of e-t is -e-t (this is also equal to this function's anti-derivative).

But now if we differentiate this in terms of delta using the product rule, we get ##f'(t)=-u(t)e^{-t}+e^{-t} \delta (t)##. This is very different from the previous answer. And how can I represent ##e^{-t} \delta (t)## on the graph?

I have noticed that in some websites they draw the delta function as just being scaled by the size of the jump discontinuity, so in this case:

sketch3.jpg

So I am not sure which one of these solutions is correct. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) You're doing fine. There is no indefiniti integral, but the exercise only asks for the antiderivative.

(b) something goes wrong at t=0: I see the function jump up but your derivative stays below 0. In fact you can use the rule for differentiation of a product here.

roam said:
I have noticed that in some websites they draw the delta function as just being scaled by the size of the jump discontinuity, so in this case:
That is exactly what the exercise composer means with
roam said:
Denote the δ function with a vertical arrow of length 1.

Likes roam
BvU said:
(b) something goes wrong at t=0: I see the function jump up but your derivative stays below 0. In fact you can use the rule for differentiation of a product here.

Thank you very much for the response.

But when I differentiate, where do I exactly need to introduce the ##\delta(t)## into the equation for ##f'(t)##? :confused:

For t<0 we have (by product rule):

$$f'(t)= u'(t) e^{-t} + - e^{-t} u(t) = u'(t) e^{-t}$$

Do I need to rewrite this as ##\delta(t) e^{-t}## or just write it as zero (since the u(t) is constant on ##(-\infty, 0)##)?

Likewise for t<0:

$$f'(t)= u'(t) e^{-t} + - e^{-t} u(t) = u'(t) e^{-t} - e^{-t}=0$$

It is also possible to introduce delta here as: ##f'(t) = \delta(t) e^{-t}##.

Beut if I have a separate case for t=0, the derivative becomes ##\delta(0)e^{-0} - e^{-0} u(0)##. But I am not sure how to evaluate this since the u(t) is infinitely steep there, and does not have a particular value.

So I think this would be how the graph looks like for the derivative:

sketch4.jpg

Is that correct, or do I need to scale the (t) somehow?

Do we not need to use (t) or something else in the expression for the antiderivative? Because the graph looks exactly the same as the one for the derivative (and we have a discontinuity at 0):

image.jpg

For t<0, ##f(t)=0 \implies F(t)= \int 0 = 0 + c##, and for t>0 ##f(t)= e^{-t} \implies F(t) = - e^{-t}##.

Last edited:
roam said:
where do I exactly need to introduce the δ(t)
$$
f'(t)= u'(t) e^{-t} - e^{-t} u(t) $$And $$u'(t) e^{-t} = \delta(t) e^{-t} = \delta(t) \ \ ! $$It's so simple you would almost overlook it :smile: !

derivative plot looks good to me now; no scaling needed.

However, for the antiderivative: if I differentiate that, do I get f(t) ?

Likes roam
However, for the antiderivative: if I differentiate that, do I get f(t) ?

Thank you. No, I think we need to multiply it by the Heaviside step function: ##F(t)= -e^{-t} u(t)##.

But is the graph right for F(t)?

BvU said:
$$
f'(t)= u'(t) e^{-t} - e^{-t} u(t) $$And $$u'(t) e^{-t} = \delta(t) e^{-t} = \delta(t) \ \ ! $$It's so simple you would almost overlook it :smile: !

Would it be correct to write the following?

For t<0, $$f'(t)= \delta(t)$$

And for t>1, $$f'(t)= \delta (t) - e^{-t}$$

Whenever we have t=0, in both cases ##f'(0)=\infty##.

roam said:
Is that correct to write the following?
for t < 0 and for t > 0 ##\ \ \delta(t) =0\quad ## so yes, it's correct.

However, you should understand that you can't write "for t = 0 ##f'(t)=\infty##"

You can only think that :smile: -- and it's exactly to deal with that kind of situations that the ##\delta## 'function' is so useful: it allows us to write $$
f'(t)= \delta(t) - u(t)\;e^{-t} \quad\forall t \qquad $$Coming back to the graph of antiderivative: If I differentiate that, I get a ##-\delta## that isn't in f(t). so: no, the graph can't be right !

Likes roam
BvU said:
Coming back to the graph of antiderivative: If I differentiate that, I get a ##-\delta## that isn't in f(t). so: no, the graph can't be right !

Would it then be correct to add a ##+\delta## to the graph of F(t) at zero?

Is the actual formula of ##F(t)=-e^{-t} u(t)## for the antiderivative correct? Because clearly the integral is ##-e^{-t}## on the RHS of the graph and zero to the left.

Expanding on
BvU said:
You can only think that
The (pretty extensive -- worth investigating) Wiki lemma calls this a heuristic characterization ("can be loosely thought of"). For physicists this is usually good enough and we treat it (with proper caution) as an ordinary function.

roam said:
s the actual formula of ##F(t)=-e^{-t} u(t) ## for the antiderivative correct?
As I try to bring across: no. Check for yourself and do the differentiation !

BvU said:
As I try to bring across: no. Check for yourself and do the differentiation !

Yes, we don't get the original function when differentiating using the product rule (we want the derivative of F(t) to be ##u(t)e^{-t}##). So what is the mistake? :confused:

As I said in the last post when we integrate the original function we get ##-e^{-t}## on the right, and zero on the negative side. The only way I can think of representing that is ##-e^{-t} u(t)##, but when we differentiate that we get ##-e^{-t} u'(t) + u(t) e^{-t} = f'(t)##.

EDIT: we can rewrite ##-e^{-t} u'(t) + u(t) e^{-t} = -e^{-t} \delta (t) + u(t) e^{-t}## which is equal to ##u(t)e^{-t} = f(t)## everywhere for ##t \neq 0##. But I'm not sure if that's correct...

As a candidate for the antiderivative $$
F(t)=-e^{-t} u(t)
$$ is almost good. We are free to add a constant to the function. But you need something to get rid of the delta function when you differentiate F. Now (hint, hint), what yields a ##\delta## 'function' when differentiated ?

Likes roam
Thank you very much for the massive hint. So for ##F(t)=-u(t)exp(-t) +u(t)## this is how the plot looks like in Matlab:

sk2.jpg

Hopefully it's correct now.

Well done. Indeed, the delta function is gone when we differentiate F. In other words: the discontinuity in F itself is gone.

A good and useful exercise. After working with these things for a while you take a lot for granted and don't think twice what it actually means.

Likes roam
Thank you very much for the help. :oldsmile:

1. What is a delta function graph?

A delta function graph, also known as a Dirac delta function graph, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinitely large. It is often represented as a spike or impulse at that single point.

2. What is the purpose of a delta function graph?

Delta function graphs are used in mathematics and engineering to model idealized point-like events, such as instantaneous forces or impulses. They are also used in signal processing to represent a signal's amplitude at a specific time.

3. How is a delta function graph different from a regular function graph?

A regular function graph has a continuous, smooth shape, while a delta function graph has a single point of discontinuity. Additionally, the area under a delta function graph is always equal to 1, while the area under a regular function graph can vary.

4. Can a delta function graph be integrated?

Yes, a delta function graph can be integrated, but the result is not a traditional function. Instead, it is a mathematical object called a distribution, which is used to generalize the concept of a function to include objects like the delta function.

5. How is a delta function graph used in physics?

In physics, delta function graphs are used to represent point-like interactions, such as collisions between two particles or the interaction between a particle and a potential barrier. They are also used to model the behavior of quantum mechanical systems.