Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equations of motion from power and mass

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1
    I'm terrible at calculus and am trying an exercise to hopefully help me understand it better. I want to derive the equations of acceleration, velocity and position of a car with known power and mass. As the car's speed increases, the acceleration will decrease.

force = mass/acceleration
    power = force*velocity

So acceleration = power/(velocity*mass)
    velocity = ?
    position = ?

The integral of acceleration is the velocity but how is the integral done in this case since velocity is an unknown function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming you are talking about a fixed power and mass, we can write "acceleration= power/(velocity*mass)" as [itex]dv/dt= P/(vm)[/itex] and separate- [itex]dv/v= (P/m)dt[/itex]. Integrating both sides, [itex]ln(v)= (P/m)t+ c[/itex] or [itex]v= Ce^{(P/m)t}[/itex] where [itex]C= e^c[/itex] is a constant equal to the initial velocity. Integrating that with respect to t, [itex]x= C(m/P)e^{(P/m)t}+ D[/itex].

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3
    If initial velocity is zero at time = 0, what is the constant C?

ln(v)=(P/m)t+c
    ln(0)=(P/m)(0)+c
    c=ln(0)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook