Deriving Formula for m2 in Terms of m1, a, and g in a Two Mass System

  • Thread starter Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    deriving
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 8K views
Oh, I was overcomplicating it again! We're literally just pulling it out of the equation, I let he subscript mess me up.

m2g-m2a=m1a
m2(g-a)=m1a

Better?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
it is still not isolated (all by itself) ... it is still multiplying that difference ...
 
Oh, right. Shoot. But was the step correct? Can I divide both sides by m2, yielding g-a=m1a/m2 ? Or would that not be considered solving for m2, since it's not on it's own side?
 
collected it as common factor, good.
you want it on TOP, by itself ... not on bottom.
move the other factor, instead of m2 .
 
keep the old parentheses, right? ok, done.

move on to the one with friction
 
well, look at 2 special cases first:
1) what m2 will make zero acceleration?
2) what m2 will make acceleration = 9.8 m/s² ?
 
Lightgrav, I would really love to come back to these questions, but I have so many other problems this week that I can't justify spending the time on the extra questions that they deserve. Thanks so much for helping me with the problem! :smile: I will eventually come back to these if I have a moment.