1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Logistic Population Model (ODE question)

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the logistic population model:
    [itex] dP/dt=rP(1-P/C); P(0)=P_{0}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    First, I separated variables to get:
    [itex]\int \! \frac{1}{P(1-P/C)} \, \mathrm{d}P = \int \! r \, \mathrm{d}t[/itex]

Then, I took the left hand side and split into partial fractions:
    (1) - [itex]\int \! \frac{1}{P} \, \mathrm{d}P + \int \! \frac{1/C}{1-P/C} \, \mathrm{d}P[/itex]
    If I integrate, I get the following:
    [itex]\ln(P)-\ln(1-P/C)=\ln(\frac{P}{1-P/C})[/itex] (*)

However, my problem is this. If I take (1) and multiply the second integral by C/C (which should be fine, its 1), I get the following:
    [itex]\int \! \frac{1}{P} \, \mathrm{d}P + \int \! \frac{1}{C-P} \, \mathrm{d}P[/itex]
    Which is...
    [itex]\ln(P)-\ln(C-P)=\ln(P/C-P)[/itex] (**)

However, (*) and (**) are not the same. I'm assuming there's something wrong with one of the ways that I integrated considering I came out with two different functions. Are they both correct and all that will change when I do the full problem out is the constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

BTW, [itex]\ln(P)-\ln(C-P)=\ln(P/C-P)[/itex] should be written [itex]\ln(P)-\ln(C-P)=\ln(P/(C-P))[/itex].

Both answers are in fact equivalent. Remember that you haven't taken into account the arbitrary constant of integration. Try putting that into the LHS as [itex]\ln k[/itex] in one case and [itex]\ln k'[/itex] in the other. You'll be able to bring everything under the natural log, after which you can exponentiate both sides. Now impose the initial value condition [itex]P = P_0[/itex] at [itex]t= 0[/itex]. You'll find that no matter which form you use, the k and k' will be just right so that your final form is the same.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

To obviate this sort of issue, I prefer to take the definite integral on both sides. The bounds will be [itex](P_0, P(t))[/itex] on the LHS and [itex](0,t)[/itex] on the RHS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook