Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving navier stokes in polar

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    Can anyone point me to a derivation of the navier stokes equations in polar? I don't see where the single derivative in theta terms are coming from in the first 2 components.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    the equations are not derived in the link you gave; my own derivation fails to see where the last terms in those 2nd and 3rd equations in that link are coming from.

5. May 13, 2013 #4
    Check out the set of equations for the stress tensor, which have these same terms in them. You can probably figure this out by first writing out your derivation in terms of the components of the stress tensor. You can check your derivation of the differential force balance equations in terms of the stress tensor in cylindrical coordinates in most fluid mechanics books. Check out Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot (but note that their presentation treats positive stress as compressive, so that their τ's are equal to our -σ's).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook