1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving parametric equations of a point for the involute of a circle.

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a string wound around a fixed circle is unwound while held taut in the plane of the circle, its end P traces an involute of the circle. In the accompanying figure, the circle in question is the circle (x^2)+(y^2)=1 and the tracing point starts at (1,0). The unwound portion of the string is tangent to the circle at Q, and t is the radian measure of the angle from the positive x-axis to segment OQ. Derive the parametric equations

x=cost+tsint, y=sint-tcost, t>0

of the point P(x,y) for the involute.

2. Relevant equations
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to do this problem!! The section it's in is "Arc length and the unit-Tangent vector," but the only things explained in the section are arc length and unit tangent vector! I don't see how this relates... If anyone can provide a detailed explanation, I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?