1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equation Trochoid Explanation

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    Trochoid_1000.gif

The third line is the type of problem I have:
    Derive the parametric equation for a circle with a distance 'b' from the circle with a radius 'r'.

So from the edge of the circle to the red dot is a distance 'b' but from the center to the edge of the circle is 'r'

I know the parametric equation of a circle is x = rθ+rsinθ and y=r+cosθ when it is only dealing with a distance r. but what about when it is further from the circle than just a distance r?

I think the answer is
    x=rθ-bsinθ
    y=r=bcosθ
    but I dont understand why it is.

Can someone please explain why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The circle has radius r and so every point on the circle can be written as variations on (cos(t), rsin(t)) with t depending on the angle at which you start. In particular, If we take t= 0 at the beginning with the radius pointing straight down, we have (p sin(t), -p cos(t)). If we want to take y= 0 at the straight line, x= 0 at the left end, we can write (p sin(t), -p cos(t)+ r).

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
    Im sorry, I understand some if this but basically if thr radius is point straight up it should be [rsin (t) , bcos (t) +r]?

5. May 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let the radius of the circle be r and the distance from centre to point be d. What are the coordinates of the circle's centre when it has turned through angle θ? What are the coordinates of the point relative to the centre of the circle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted