1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon colliding with moving electron

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider Comton scattering of a photon by a moving electron. Before the collision the photon has wave length λ and is moving in the +x direction, and the electron is moving in the -x direction with total energy E. The photon and electron collide head-on. After the collision both are moving in the -x direction. (a) Derive an expression for the wavelength λ' of the scattered photon. (b) Show that for the case E>>mc^2, the result reduces to λ′= hc/E(1+ m^2 c^4 λ/4hcE)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using energy and momentum conservation laws but can't seem to find it

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2
    Can you please show your work?

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    I would but i haven't done much progress
    I just need a hint or the direction of the solution

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4
    Conserving momentum and energy should get you to the answer, put in the vectors correctly while conserving momentum.

6. Apr 21, 2016 #5
    did that
    thx anyway

7. Apr 21, 2016 #6
  8. Apr 21, 2016 #7
  9. Apr 21, 2016 #8
    Einitial=Efinal
    pinitial=pfinal
    Plug in the values, get an answer, post the equations and somebody will point out what was wrong in them.

10. Apr 21, 2016 #9
    File_000.jpeg

This is how i try to start

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted