1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving taylor series for v/c and gamma

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity of a proton relative to
    our galaxy is vp/c = 1-(0.5*10^20), i.e. almost one. Such protons are actually observed.

When velocity it very nearly one [tex]\gamma[/tex] is very large. 1/[tex]\gamma[/tex]
    is very small. Use Taylor series to show that for v almost one we have

v/c[tex]\approx[/tex]1-(1/2)(1/[tex]\gamma^{2}[/tex])....

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't done Taylor series for about a year now, and I don't quite remember how to do it. The teacher gives us some basic info on the mathematics needed to do the homework, but I can't seem to figure out a relationship. I've also looked for explanations of taylor series relevant to my question, but I havent found anything

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

First, express v/c as a function of 1/γ2. Then expand that function as a Taylor series about 1/γ2=0.

f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x2/2! + f'''(0)x3/3! + ...

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    I imagine that you could also just do a taylor expansion on gamma and it would give you similar results, though I have to admit I haven't looked into it. This is just what's normally done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook