1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal: taylor series van der waals equation

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that at constant volume V and temperature T but decreasing number N=n*N[itex]_{A}[/itex] of particles the Van der Waals equation of state approaches the equation of state of an ideal gas.

Hint: Rearrange the equation of state into the explicit functional form P=P(v,T) and use x=1/v as a small parameter for a Taylor series P(x)=P(0)+dP/dx x + ...

2. Relevant equations
    Van der Waals equation of state for a real gas:
    [itex]( P + \frac{a}{v^{2}} ) ( v - b ) = RT[/itex]
    Taylor series expansion:
    [itex]f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+\frac{f"(a)}{2!} (x-a)^{2} + ... [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Rearranging...
    [itex]( P + \frac{a}{v^{2}} ) ( v - b ) = RT[/itex]
    [itex]P + \frac{a}{v^{2}} = \frac{RT}{v-b}[/itex]
    [itex]P = \frac{RT}{v-b} - \frac{a}{v^{2}}[/itex]

Now it's been a while since I've done a Taylor expansion so I don't seem to remember how to go about it. Could someone just point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go ahead and follow the hint by letting x = 1/v. Then think about simplifying and expanding the first fraction on the RHS as a Taylor series in x.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3
    So...

[itex]P = \frac{RT}{\frac{1}{x} - b} - \frac{a}{\frac{1}{x^{2}}}[/itex]
    [itex]P = \frac{RT}{\frac{1}{x} - \frac{bx}{x}} - ax^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]P = \frac{RT}{\frac{1-bx}{x}} - ax^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]P = \frac{RTx}{(1-bx)} - ax^{2}[/itex]

And then expand the first fraction, so do a Taylor expansion of [itex]\frac{RTx}{(1-bx)}[/itex] around the point 1/v.

[itex]f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+\frac{f''(a)}{2!} (x-a)^{2} + \frac{f'''(a)}{3!} (x-a)^{3}+...[/itex]

f(x) = [itex]\frac{RTx}{(1-bx)}[/itex] and a = 1/v , correct?
    So f(a) = [itex]\frac{\frac{RT}{v}}{1-bx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{RT}{v(1-bx)}[/itex]

Then for f'(a)... it's been a while since I've taken a simple derivative; is the following correct?
    [itex]f'(a)=f'(\frac{RT}{v} \frac{1}{1-bx})=f'(\frac{RT}{v} (1-bx)^{-1})[/itex]
    [itex]f'(a)=\frac{RT}{v} * -(1-bx)^{-2} * (-b) = \frac{RT}{v} b(1-bx)^{-2}[/itex]

I just wanted to make sure if that is the correct way to go now before I continue.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. So, you have [itex]P = RTxf(x) - ax^{2}[/itex] where [itex]f(x) = 1/(1-bx)[/itex]
    You'll just need to expand [itex]f(x) = 1/(1-bx)[/itex] about [itex] x = [/itex] 0 and then multiply by [itex]RTx[/itex].

You'll want to expand about [itex]x = 0[/itex], so [itex]a = 0[/itex] in the Taylor expansion. [See the hint in the statement of the problem.]

6. Sep 1, 2012 #5
    Thank you for replying! :) So my Taylor series is the following...?

[itex]\frac{1}{1-bx} = f(0) + f'(0)(x-a) + ...[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{1-bx} = 1 + b(1-bx)^{-2} (x-a) + ...[/itex]

What do I do with the (x-a) [or (x-0) I guess]?
    (I should know this by now but it's just been a while and doing a Taylor series expansion has apparently been completely erased from my memory.)

Then once I finish some more of the Taylor series, I multiply that whole right hand side by RTx?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  7. Sep 1, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that looks pretty good. But, don't forget that [itex]f'(0)[/itex] means to let x = 0 after taking the derivative. And, yes, (x-a) is (x-0). Then, as you say, you'll multiply by RTx.

8. Sep 2, 2012 #7
    Oh right, I forgot to put x=0 in. So:

[itex]\frac{1}{1-bx} = 1+b(1-bx)^{-2}(x-0) + ... = 1+b(x-0)+...[/itex]

Again though, what do I do with the (x-0)? Do I put 0 in for that x too? If I do that then all the other terms become zero and I just have:
    [itex]\frac{1}{1-bx} = 1[/itex]

So then my original equation [itex]P = RTx \frac{1}{1-bx} - ax^{2}[/itex]
    becomes [itex]P = RTx - ax^{2}[/itex]

I don't see how this will eventually get me to the ideal gas equation of state PV=nRT. I can get the v back but I have an extra a and I don't have an n...
    EDIT: Oh I forgot that v = V/n so I can get my n too, so I just have the extra a.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. Sep 2, 2012 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just reduce (x-0) to x. But don't make x = 0 here. You only set x = 0 for the derivatives in the taylor expansion. Thus, [itex]f'(0)*(x-0)[/itex] means that you let x = 0 in expression for [itex]f'(x)[/itex] but not in the expression [itex](x-0)[/itex].

10. Sep 2, 2012 #9
    Okay well if I do that then I get:
    [itex]\frac{1}{1-bx} = 1 + bx + b^{2}x^{2} + b^{3}x^{3} + ...[/itex]

Which still doesn't make anything simplified so that I'd get to the ideal gas equation. What am I missing here?

Thank you for helping me through this, I appreciate it.

11. Sep 2, 2012 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Put it all together and remember you're looking at the case where x << 1. So you can keep the lowest order term in x and drop all the higher order terms.

12. Sep 2, 2012 #11
    Ok so if I take out the higher order terms including the ax^2 and make the appropriate x=1/v and v=V/n substitutions I do get the PV=nRT like I'm supposed so thank you - problem solved! :)

But I guess the part of it that is still confusing to me is the x << 1 part. Why do I take x << 1? Is that just what you're supposed to do in a Taylor expansion or was I supposed to know that from some wording in my problem?

Thank you!

13. Sep 2, 2012 #12
    Wait... I went too quickly, I skipped something in my head. What happens to the b?

[itex]P=RTx(1+bx)-ax^{2}[/itex]

If I have just P=RTx if I drop the ax^2 then I do get PV=nRT. That's what I wrote down after I read your reply but I don't know why I dropped the bx term too.

14. Sep 2, 2012 #13
    Is it that when x << 1 then the b is negligible so it's basically (1+bx) = 1?

15. Sep 2, 2012 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x = 1/v = n/V. What does the problem say about V and n?

16. Sep 2, 2012 #15
    OH yep there it is in the question. I think I'm just trying to go through it too quickly that I'm missing important things like that. Thank you!

17. Sep 2, 2012 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]P=RTx(1+bx)-ax^{2}=RT(x+bx^2)-ax^2[/itex]

Both the b and a terms are of order x^2.

18. Sep 2, 2012 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

bx becomes negligible with respect to 1 if x tends to zero. b means the own volume of the gas molecules, x is the reciprocal of the specific volume of the gas, so bx=b/v is the relative volume of the molecules with respect to the volume of the gas. As the gas expands, its volume increases while the volume of the molecules stays constant. bx<<1, so it can be neglected.

ehild

19. Sep 2, 2012 #18
    Ah, perfect. Thank you so much for all the help with this problem! :)

20. Sep 3, 2012 #19
    When a classmate asked me for help with this question and I showed him my work, he brought up a good point: If x<<1 then wouldn't it mean that in my equation P=RTx the x there <<1 too so the RT is negligible as well?

21. Sep 4, 2012 #20

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yes, RTx will be negligible, with respect to what? I don't see any macro quantity anywhere in your equation.

RTx may be negligible, but it is there. In your previous equation (1+bx), bx was negligible in front of 1. But here, it is a quantity, that's another thing you call it negligible.

1 in front of million don't makes much sense, but 1 alone has its worth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook