Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the canonical equations of Hamilton

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    As i know there are several diffrent way to derive the canonical equations.

Some of them starts from a physical principle like Hamilton's principle or the Lagrange equations.
    But it can be derived also by simply make a Legendre transormation on the Lagrange function and then make derivatives on it. I don't understand how can we end up having equations that have physical meaning when we don't start from a physical law or principle and don't use any during the derivation. We actually don't state anything during this derivation.

(On Wikipedia - Hamiltonian mechanics, you can see this two kind of derivation, one uses Lagrange equations and the other is just mathematical.)

If somebody has any thought about this, i would be glad to hear, because i has been thinking on this for a couple of days now and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

Thanks,
    kesgab

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    In my opinion the Hamiltonian equations don't have any physical meaning until you find the Hamiltonian which corresponds to your system. That derivation only proves that a mathematical system which is defined by least action principle with a certain Lagrangian L can also be defined with corresponding Hamiltonian H and Hamiltonian equations. L and H(L) is not specified yet.
    The equations get physical meaning only when we prove experimentaly that a certain physical system respects Lagrange/Hamiltonian equations and we define L/H which correctly describes the system. Experiment is not necessary for classical mechanics, since we already know that it respects Newton's laws: it is enough to find L for which the Lagrange equations are equivalen to second Newton's law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?