How did we arrive to Hamilton's principle ?

In summary, Hamilton's principle, also known as the principle of stationary action, can be derived from Newton's laws and additional assumptions about the mechanical system. It is a mathematical reformulation of known results, just like the Lagrange equations. However, it has some limitations, such as only working for holonomic constraints and not accounting for energy dissipation due to friction. The concept of "action" and it being stationary can be seen as another mathematical reformulation of Newton's laws. Generalized forces work similarly to coordinates, velocities, and moment, but they represent non-conservative forces and can be ignored in some cases.
Nikitin
Hi. The Lagrange equations can be derived simply by using Newton's laws and defining potential, work and kinetic energy. So that's just a mathematical reformulation of known results.

Is it the same with Hamilton's principle? Is the concept of "action" and it being stationary just another mathematical reformulation from Newton's laws, or is it something else? Because Hamilton's principle leads to the Langrange equations just the same as Newton's laws.

My professor did not discuss this. He simply presented Hamilton's principle as a postulate and left it at that.

PS: What is up with this "generalized force" thing? I don't exactly understand what that is all about. Would appreciate it if somebody could explain briefly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The principle of stationary action (in the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian form) is usually taken as an axiom. You can only constantly check its validity by producing the correct equations of motion.

Hamiltons equations follow from the definition of the hamiltonian as a Legendre transformation ##H = \dot qp - L##
If you then write down the differential ##dH## you instantly get hamiltons out of it (try it!).

Generalised forces work just the same as coordinates, velocities, moment etc the force along your coordinate vector. It's just that the only forces we care about the non-conservative ones that you can't account for as energy so in a lot of cases you just don't care about the force part at all.
So
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{d\dot q_i}) - \frac{\partial L}{dq_i} = F_i[/tex]
would reduce to a 0 in the right part if we only have conservative forces.

Nikitin said:
Hi. The Lagrange equations can be derived simply by using Newton's laws and defining potential, work and kinetic energy. So that's just a mathematical reformulation of known results.

Is it the same with Hamilton's principle? Is the concept of "action" and it being stationary just another mathematical reformulation from Newton's laws, or is it something else? Because Hamilton's principle leads to the Langrange equations just the same as Newton's laws.

My professor did not discuss this. He simply presented Hamilton's principle as a postulate and left it at that.

PS: What is up with this "generalized force" thing? I don't exactly understand what that is all about. Would appreciate it if somebody could explain briefly.

Hamilton's principle (principle of stationary action) can be derived from Newton's laws and some additional assumptions about the mechanical system. The important one that comes to mind is that all constraints have to be holonomic. If the mechanical problem has non-holonomic constraints (e.g. sphere rolling on ground with no slipping), usual Hamilton's principle does not work. Also if friction dissipates mechanical energy Hamilton's principle is hard to formulate and I think it is little used there.

Check the book H. Goldstein, Classical Mechanics for exposé of Hamilton's principle. There is also book by C. Lanczos, The Variational Principles of Mechanics which might help.

allright. thanks guys

1. How did Hamilton's principle come about?

Hamilton's principle was first introduced by physicist and mathematician William Rowan Hamilton in the early 19th century. He developed it as a new approach to classical mechanics, building on the work of previous scientists such as Pierre-Louis Maupertuis and Leonhard Euler.

2. What is Hamilton's principle?

Hamilton's principle states that the motion of a system can be described by a single mathematical expression called the "action". This action is a function of the system's coordinates and velocities and is minimized along the path that the system takes in time.

3. How does Hamilton's principle differ from other principles in physics?

Hamilton's principle is unique in that it takes into account both the kinetic and potential energies of a system, as well as any external forces acting on it. This allows for a more complete and accurate description of a system's motion compared to other principles, such as Newton's laws of motion.

4. What are the practical applications of Hamilton's principle?

Hamilton's principle has been used in various fields of physics and engineering, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in mechanics, as it provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems involving multiple degrees of freedom and constraints.

5. Are there any limitations to Hamilton's principle?

While Hamilton's principle has proven to be a powerful tool in many areas of physics, it does have some limitations. For instance, it assumes that a system's motion can be described by a single trajectory, which may not always be the case in complex systems. Additionally, it is based on classical mechanics and does not take into account quantum effects.