Deriving the Christoffel Symbols

In summary, Menzel derives the Christoffel symbols for a vector in Riemannian Geometry by differentiating it with respect to a coordinate system, focusing on the term ∂_ie_j, and saying that it should look like this: \Gamma^{i}_{j}_{k}e_{i} .
cpsinkule
Hi All,

I am currently reading Menzel's "Mathematical Physics" and one part in particular confuses me. When he is introducing Riemannian Geometry he derives the Christoffel symbols almost out of thin air. He starts by differentiating a vector with respect to a coordinate system ∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]u[itex]^{j}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex]=(∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]u[itex]^{j}[/itex])e[itex]_{j}[/itex]+u[itex]^{j}[/itex](∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex])

he then focuses on this term (∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex]) and simply says that whatever "it" is, it must depend on the basis vectors and should look like this
[itex]\Gamma^{i}[/itex][itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]e[itex]_{i}[/itex]

and he says "these are the christoffel symbols of the (first? second?forgot...) kind". it all seems handwavy to me and I was wondering if someone could explain to me WHY it must depend on the basis and why it just happens to be an object with 3 indices (I do realize one of them is a dummy index, but still the other two perplex me). He explained none of this in his "derivation". (on a side not, it is a fabulous book still one of my favorites even though it is pretty dated, great read)

Physics news on Phys.org
cpsinkule said:
Hi All,

I am currently reading Menzel's "Mathematical Physics" and one part in particular confuses me. When he is introducing Riemannian Geometry he derives the Christoffel symbols almost out of thin air. He starts by differentiating a vector with respect to a coordinate system ∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]u[itex]^{j}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex]=(∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]u[itex]^{j}[/itex])e[itex]_{j}[/itex]+u[itex]^{j}[/itex](∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex])

he then focuses on this term (∂[itex]_{i}[/itex]e[itex]_{j}[/itex]) and simply says that whatever "it" is, it must depend on the basis vectors and should look like this
[itex]\Gamma^{i}[/itex][itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]e[itex]_{i}[/itex]

and he says "these are the christoffel symbols of the (first? second?forgot...) kind". it all seems handwavy to me and I was wondering if someone could explain to me WHY it must depend on the basis and why it just happens to be an object with 3 indices (I do realize one of them is a dummy index, but still the other two perplex me). He explained none of this in his "derivation". (on a side not, it is a fabulous book still one of my favorites even though it is pretty dated, great read)

Well, the e_i form a complete orthonormal set, and so ∂_ie_j, must be given by a linear superposition of the e_i. The result must however be rank-2, and therefore must be of the form Gamma^k_{ij} e_k.

the basis isn't, in general, orthonormal. that much I am sure of

Sorry, it doesn't matter if it is orthonormal or not..
The crucial ingredient is completeness.
(By the way, in case it isn't clear, apart from the dummy indices, the other two indices are present because the rank of the two objects must be the same.)

ok, I understand why it depends on the basis now, but I still don't understand why it goes up in rank. One reason is that it isn't a tensor so it doesn't really have a rank.

the number of free indices on both sides of any tensor equation must always be the same, even if the objects don't transform as tensors. Furthermore, the number of downstairs and upstairs indices should always match as well. By the way, even objects that don't transform as tensors have a rank, it's just that when you transform them you pick up extra terms which come from the non-tensor nature. In any case, the number of free indices is always preserved in every term of the equation. Also, there can be only two repeated dummy indices in anyone term, one upstairs and one downstairs.

cpsinkule said:
ok, I understand why it depends on the basis now, but I still don't understand why it goes up in rank. One reason is that it isn't a tensor so it doesn't really have a rank.

Also, Gamma^k_{ij} has three indices because this is the only way of ensuring that the result is a linear superposition of ALL the e_k while preserving the number of free indices, (i,j) in this example,
$$
\partial_i {\bf e}_j = \Gamma^k_{ij}{\bf e}_k
$$

I see now, thank you :)

What is the purpose of deriving the Christoffel Symbols?

The Christoffel symbols, also known as the connection coefficients, are used in differential geometry to define the curvature of a space. They are important in Einstein's theory of general relativity and are used to describe the behavior of spacetime under the influence of gravity.

What is the mathematical process involved in deriving the Christoffel Symbols?

The Christoffel symbols are derived using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes distances and angles in a given space. The process involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor and using them to construct the Christoffel symbols.

What is the relationship between the Christoffel symbols and the curvature of a space?

The Christoffel symbols are related to the curvature of a space through the Riemann curvature tensor. This tensor is used to calculate the curvature and is constructed using the Christoffel symbols.

Why are the Christoffel symbols important in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Christoffel symbols are used to describe the behavior of spacetime under the influence of gravity. They are essential in calculating the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a particle in curved spacetime.

Are there any practical applications of the Christoffel symbols?

Aside from their importance in general relativity, the Christoffel symbols also have practical applications in other areas of physics, such as in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in engineering and computer graphics to model and simulate curved surfaces.