Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the formula: v=wr

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    How to derive the formula:
    v=wr
    where v is the tangential velocity, w is the rotational velocity, and r i the radius vector?

From the attached image, it can be concluded that (each quantity is a vector): w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w. All three vectors are perpendicular to each other, therefore the intensity of each vector can be calculated by vector multiplication. Then (each quantity is a vector modulus):
    w=rv, v=wr, r=vw, this system of equations is true if w=v=r which mustn't be true. I need an explanation. What did I wrong to arrive at this incorrect equality?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Look at the image below:
    circle_arc.png

By definition of a radian(unit of angle), we can write [itex] s= r \theta [/itex](where [itex] \theta [/itex] is in radians). Now, assuming a fixed radius, differentiation of the equation w.r.t. time will give you the desired result.

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The angular velocity ω is usually a scalar, rather than a vector quantity. The magnitude of the radial velocity is given as v = ω r, where r is the magnitude of the radius vector.

For a derivation of the radial velocity vector, see this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion

and note the difference between ω and the vector Ω.

You should also be aware that the cross product does not commute, so that all of these statements may not be valid simultaneously:

w=r x v, v=w x r, r= v x w.

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4
    Okay, but I want to derive it the way I previously posted, but it brings me nowhere and I want to make myself clear what was wrong.
    The cross product does not commute, but how does that explain anything?

6. Oct 15, 2014 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks more like tangential velocity to me. Radial velocity is along the radius:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_velocity

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you conclude that from the image? It's only true if they are all unit vectors

8. Oct 15, 2014 #7
    I think that you have the answer, but please explain it. How is it true only then?

9. Oct 15, 2014 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to explain how you concluded all that from your picture.

10. Oct 15, 2014 #9
    I wrote it. w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w from the picture. For example r x v gives the vector w. I got all by calculating the vector product:
    <r x v>=<w>=rv*sin(pi/2)=rv. The same way I got that v=wr, r=vw.

11. Oct 15, 2014 #10

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your picture only shows three vectors perpendicular to each other. It doesn't tell you what the lengths of the vectors are. The correct equations should be[tex]
    \textbf{v} = \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \textbf{r}; \;
    \boldsymbol{\omega} = \frac{\textbf{r} \times \textbf{v}}{r^2}
    [/tex]

12. Oct 16, 2014 #11
    How did you get that w=rxv/r^2?

13. Oct 16, 2014 #12

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None of this follows from the picture. Just because 3 vectors are perpendicular, doesn't mean they necessarily represent the operands and result of a vector product.

14. Oct 16, 2014 #13

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, for example, angular velocity, or any text book on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook