Deriving the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom. The equation U=\frac{-mk_{0}^{2}Ze^{4}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}} is used, but the result obtained is 27.145eV instead of the expected 13.6eV. The equations for centripetal force, Coulomb's law, and potential are mentioned, as well as the idea that angular momentum is a multiple of \hbar. The kinetic energy term is not taken into account, which could explain the discrepancy in the results. The correct way to derive the kinetic energy term is discussed, and it is
21joanna12

Homework Statement

Hello! I am trying to derive the ground state enegry of a hydrogen atom, and have come to

[itex]U=\frac{-mk_{0}^{2}Ze^{4}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex]

Problem is, I know there should e another factor of 2 in the denomenator because I get the ground state energy of hydrogen as being 27.145eV rather than 13.6eV

Homework Equations

Centripetal force is [itex]F_{c}=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]

Coulomb's law is [itex]F=\frac{k_{0}q_{1}q_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

Potential is [itex]U=\frac{k_{0}q_{1}q_{2}}{r}[/itex]

And using Bohr's idea that the angular momentum can only be multiplies of [itex]\hbar[/itex], so

[itex]mvr=n\hbar[/itex]

so [itex]v=\frac{n\hbar}{mr}[/itex]

[itex]v^{2}=\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{m^{2}r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a system with a single electron orbiting a nucleus with Z protons, and equating the centripetal force with Coulomb force,

[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]mv^{2}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{r}[/itex]

Now substituting in for [itex]v^{2}[/itex],

[itex]\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{m^{2}r^{2}}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{mr}[/itex]

So [itex]r=\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{mke^{2}}[/itex]

Substituting this is for the potential,

[itex]U=\frac{-mk_{0}^{2}Ze^{4}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex]

Please tell me where have gone wrong!
Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
13.6eV is the total energy of that system...so in addition to potential energy , you'll have to take kinetic energy into consideration , which you apparently have not

throneoo said:
13.6eV is the total energy of that system...so in addition to potential energy , you'll have to take kinetic energy into consideration , which you apparently have not
Hi throneoo, thanks for your reply!

How would I take into account the kinetic energy to derive the 13.6eV? Also, I'm not too sure that kinetic energy is the problem here because the answer I got was exactly twice what it should be, so I think it may be more likely that I missed a factor of a half somewhere. Though I am not too sure...

You find the kinetic energy and add it to the potential energy.
You did make a miscalculation though ... what sign should the potential energy be?

21joanna12 said:
How would I take into account the kinetic energy to derive the 13.6eV?
21joanna12 said:
mv2=k0Ze2r

Does ##mv^2## remind you of something that you would typically see in an expression for kinetic energy? This would be the hand-waving approach but would be similar in rigour to applying the Bohr model. Alternatively you could actually compute the ground state wave function and its corresponding kinetic energy term - or apply the virial theorem.

21joanna12 said:
mv2=k0Ze2rmv^{2}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{r}
you are very close to deriving the expression for the kinetic energy in terms of the potential energy...just derive it and plug it into the expressionfor the total energy . that should you a ground state energy of -13.6eV

1. How is the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom derived?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is derived using the Schrodinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. By solving this equation for a single electron in the electric field of a proton, we can determine the energy levels and probability distributions of the electron in the hydrogen atom.

2. What is the significance of the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is the lowest possible energy state that an electron can occupy in the hydrogen atom. This energy level is significant because it determines the stability and behavior of the atom, as well as its chemical properties and ability to bond with other atoms.

3. How does the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom relate to the energy of its electron?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is directly related to the energy of its electron. The electron's energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in specific energy levels determined by the Schrodinger equation. The ground state energy is the lowest of these energy levels, and corresponds to the electron being closest to the nucleus.

4. Can the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom be measured?

Yes, the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom can be measured using spectroscopy techniques. By observing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the atom, we can determine the energy difference between the ground state and higher energy states, and calculate the exact value of the ground state energy.

5. How does the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom differ from that of other atoms?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is unique in that it is the only atom with a single electron and a single proton in its nucleus. Other atoms with more complex structures have different ground state energies due to the interactions between multiple electrons and the nucleus. However, the principles and equations used to derive the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom can also be applied to other atoms, with some modifications.