1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello! I am trying to derive the ground state enegry of a hydrogen atom, and have come to

[itex]U=\frac{-mk_{0}^{2}Ze^{4}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex]

Problem is, I know there should e another factor of 2 in the denomenator because I get the ground state energy of hydrogen as being 27.145eV rather than 13.6eV

2. Relevant equations
    Centripetal force is [itex]F_{c}=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]

Coulomb's law is [itex]F=\frac{k_{0}q_{1}q_{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

Potential is [itex]U=\frac{k_{0}q_{1}q_{2}}{r}[/itex]

And using Bohr's idea that the angular momentum can only be multiplies of [itex]\hbar[/itex], so

[itex]mvr=n\hbar[/itex]

so [itex]v=\frac{n\hbar}{mr}[/itex]

[itex]v^{2}=\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{m^{2}r^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a system with a single electron orbiting a nucleus with Z protons, and equating the centripetal force with Coulomb force,

[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]mv^{2}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{r}[/itex]

Now substituting in for [itex]v^{2}[/itex],

[itex]\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{m^{2}r^{2}}=\frac{k_{0}Ze^{2}}{mr}[/itex]

So [itex]r=\frac{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}{mke^{2}}[/itex]

Substituting this is for the potential,

[itex]U=\frac{-mk_{0}^{2}Ze^{4}}{n^{2}\hbar^{2}}[/itex]

Please tell me where have gone wrong!
    Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2
    13.6eV is the total energy of that system...so in addition to potential energy , you'll have to take kinetic energy into consideration , which you apparently have not

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3
    Hi throneoo, thanks for your reply!

How would I take into account the kinetic energy to derive the 13.6eV? Also, I'm not too sure that kinetic energy is the problem here because the answer I got was exactly twice what it should be, so I think it may be more likely that I missed a factor of a half somewhere. Though I am not too sure...

5. Sep 27, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You find the kinetic energy and add it to the potential energy.
    You did make a miscalculation though ... what sign should the potential energy be?

6. Sep 27, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does ##mv^2## remind you of something that you would typically see in an expression for kinetic energy? This would be the hand-waving approach but would be similar in rigour to applying the Bohr model. Alternatively you could actually compute the ground state wave function and its corresponding kinetic energy term - or apply the virial theorem.

7. Sep 27, 2014 #6
    you are very close to deriving the expression for the kinetic energy in terms of the potential energy....just derive it and plug it into the expressionfor the total energy . that should you a ground state energy of -13.6eV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted