Derving compton effect formula - SIMPLY

In summary, the conversation is about someone requesting help with deriving the Compton effect formula in physics. They mention that they are not very good at physics and ask for a thorough explanation. However, they also mention that they have difficulty following textbooks and prefer someone to explain it to them. The person offering help suggests that learning about special relativity first might be useful and warns that a full derivation would be a lot of work. They also mention that it would be difficult to provide help without knowing the person's level of understanding.
CV101
Hi,

I am trying to derive the compton effect formula.

I am not very good at physics, however, I am trying to get better!

WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN EVERYTHING YOU DO!

Thanks- really appreciated!

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN EVERYTHING YOU DO!
I thought YOU are trying to derive it?
Where did you get problems?

There are many textbooks covering this derivation, you can check them for hints how to do it.

Cant follow textbooks

Hi, unfortunately I can't really follow the textbooks- like I said, not very good at physics.

If you could help me out in deriving it, that would be great! thanks

mfb said:
Where did you get problems?

Do not expect that someone posts a full derivation here - it is a lot of work, and it would look similar to the derivations in the textbooks, so there is no point in that.

If you don't know the required physics (special relativity), it might be useful if you start learning this first.

cool, thanks. Will start my learning what special relativity is. Thanks.

Also, in our lecture course we got told that we should be able to derive this... and so as I couldn't understand more that conservation of momentum, I thought I should ask.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Without knowing what you know and what you don't know, there is no way anyone can present any kind of help. What will inevitably happen is that every time we introduce something which we think you should know, we end up back-tracking because we have to explain that!

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Compton effect formula?

The Compton effect formula is a mathematical equation that describes the change in wavelength of a photon after it interacts with a target material. It was developed by Arthur Compton in 1923 and is used to calculate the energy and momentum of the scattered photon.

2. How is the Compton effect formula derived?

The Compton effect formula is derived using the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. It takes into account the initial energy and momentum of the photon and the resulting energy and momentum after the collision with the target material. The formula takes into account the angle of scattering and the mass of the target material.

3. What are the units of the Compton effect formula?

The units of the Compton effect formula depend on the units used for energy and momentum. Typically, energy is measured in electron volts (eV) and momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s). Therefore, the units of the formula would be eV·kg·m/s.

4. How is the Compton effect formula used in scientific research?

The Compton effect formula is used in various fields of research, including physics, astronomy, and material science. It is used to study the properties of photons and their interactions with matter, as well as to determine the composition and structure of materials. It has also been used to verify the theories of quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Is the Compton effect formula still relevant today?

Yes, the Compton effect formula is still relevant and widely used in scientific research today. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of photons and matter at the atomic level. It has also led to advancements in technology, such as X-ray imaging and radiation therapy.