1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing vectors in a different coordinate system

1. Jul 30, 2014 #1
    The problem I am having is a problem in my textbook. It says that if we have xy Cartesian coordinate system, and if we then have a rotated coordinate system x'y', then to get the vector in the x'y' in terms of the xy system, we use the following arguments for the unit vectors:

i' = icos[itex]\Phi[/itex] + jsin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

j' = jcos[itex]\Phi[/itex] - isin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

I don't understand how this was derived, or where it came from. I try to use the right-angle definition for trig ratios, but I keep getting different numbers, and don't see how this relation is true. I would realy appreciate it if somebody could provide a simple explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivation is mostly a matter of geometry. Perhaps this figure can clear things up:

RotateAroundZaxis.gif

4. Jul 30, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Wikipedia has an article on coordinate rotation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_rotation

midway down in the "two Dimensions" topic they show a matrix that transforms a vector from xy to x'y'

In your case, I think you have the signs mixed up ie

i' = i cos phi - j sin phi

and

j' = i sin phi + j cos phi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook