1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of a Lightweight Waterproof (IP 67/68) Winch

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am currently designing a lightweight waterproof winch system using off the shelf electrical or hand winches.

My problem is that most electric winches that are waterproof are too heavy (design weight limit ~10lbs) and have a much higher force rating than needed (design max force ~500 lbs).

A hand winch could be used, but the process needs to be automated and it will probably take too long to couple it with an appropriate sized motor an enclose it in a sort of pressure housing.

Does anybody have an idea where I can find small scale IP rated winches? Or have any easy way to automate a hand winch?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's wrong with just using a hand winch? I keep a hand winch in my Suburban that meets your specs.

This looks like a schoolwork project, so I'll move it to the schoolwork forums...

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    Can you not. Your speculation is incorrect and you just buried this thread.

As I said, the process needs to be automated as a hand winch can't consistently deliver results within +-5mm.

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4

berkeman

Say which what? There may be a language barrier here, but you can please say more about why a hand winch will not work. You will not be able to put an appropriate size electric motor on a winch within that weight limit. What does "automated" mean in your post? Again, there may be a language translation issue with that word. :smile:

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5
    A simple google search of brushless dc motors gives results of 1 kW motors of ~2-3 lbs. To automate something is to control it (passively or actively) electrically using a computer. As I said, again, a hand winch can't consistently deliver results within the tolerance and unless you plan on hand cranking the winch 1.5 meters underwater, hence the IP rating, it is quite impractical as well.

Can you please move my thread back to it's rightful place?

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6

berkeman

Sure. Why is it not related to school?

8. Mar 28, 2016 #7
    It isn't a school project nor is it a homework problem... The intended audience is also not students or tutors.

9. Mar 28, 2016 #8

berkeman

That doesn't answer my question. Why are you being evasive?

10. Mar 28, 2016 #9
    Because I have no intention of giving out details of my project other than the question I am asking. It's the other version of IP. Why are you moving people's threads without reason anyway? You're logic of moving the thread without any knowledge and then asking why you should move it back is equivalent of presuming somebody is guilty of a crime and then trying them for their innocence.

Either way, you've ruined this thread.

11. Mar 28, 2016 #10

berkeman

Because we have to deal with students trying to cheat on their homework. All schoolwork-type threads go in the Homework Help forums, and must use the HH Template when posting. You have offered no evidence that this is for anything other than schoolwork, so that's where your thread goes.

12. Mar 28, 2016 #11

berkeman

Besides, you get great help in our HH forums as long as your show effort. Post what you have found so far. What are you having trouble with?

13. Mar 28, 2016 #12
    How does this sound in any way like a homework problem? It is strictly a design strategy/component sourcing question.

Do you go around to every question and move it to homework if they don't offer video evidence of their project?

14. Mar 28, 2016 #13

berkeman

Yep. What is your design project for? Can you post links to it? Why are you being so evasive? Why don't you just use a hand winch like I have in my truck? It is under 10 pounds, and can pull the weight you specified. Short leash, son.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted