1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a Lighting System for a Structure

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    I wish to mathematically represent point light sources inside a structure, and figure out how much like is scattered throughout the structure.

Specifically, I have lighting values of a certain amount of lux, and I need to ensure that the structure has a minimum of (certain value) lux touching all surfaces (maybe excluding things like shadows under tables). I don't want to go overboard on power consumption, though.

How, mathematically, should I go about figuring out how to do this? I'm thinking of simplifying the structure to something like a rectangular prism, or even just a hollow sphere of equal surface area.

I'm very confused at this point and I don't really know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Would it help to model the interior of the structure in a ray-tracing programme?

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    The only program I know about that is capable of giving actual lighting values on different surfaces is Radiance, and I don't have AutoCAD to interface it with.

At this point, I just want some real basic estimates that I can calculate by hand. I'm talking about big simplifications, because this is just a preliminary design for the lighting system. Extremely rough estimates that are only good for about an order of magnitude approximation.

I don't want to simply take the light intensity in lumens and divide by the interior surface area of the structure. I want to do something a little bit more detailed than that.

I would know the albedos of the different components of the interior walls/floor/ceiling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook